473,385 Members | 1,944 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,385 software developers and data experts.

Double-click in subform to open child form

Hello experts,

Sorry, this is probably a newbie-question...

I have a form for customer details, which includes a subform (datasheet, multiple columns) that lists the orders that correspond to that customer.

On the subform, I would like to define a double click event that opens a separate form with all details of a specific order (depending on the row in the subform on which the user double-clicked).

But I don't know what I should define the double-click event on. Should I define a double-click on each field (i.e. column)? Or is there an object for the entire row?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Aug 11 '07 #1
3 7641
Scott Price
1,384 Expert 1GB
Hello experts,

Sorry, this is probably a newbie-question...

I have a form for customer details, which includes a subform (datasheet, multiple columns) that lists the orders that correspond to that customer.

On the subform, I would like to define a double click event that opens a separate form with all details of a specific order (depending on the row in the subform on which the user double-clicked).

But I don't know what I should define the double-click event on. Should I define a double-click on each field (i.e. column)? Or is there an object for the entire row?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
I think you'll be better off either changing your subform to a listbox using the same record source (listboxes recognize clicks, doubleclicks etc.) or to continuous form view instead of datasheet view. Continuous form view emulates (looks similar to) datasheet view, but allows also the click, doubleclick etc events. As far as I know datasheet view doesn't recognize those events.

The way I have done what you want to do before is to place a command button in continuous form view at the right of the record that opens the detail form on it's click event. It's fairly simple then to open the detail form using the OrderID number as the openargs setting to direct your order details form to the particular order you want to edit. (the idea with the command button instead of double click event is documenting the process for new users of your database, i.e. how are you going to tell them that doubleclicking on the field does anything? Not an impossible thing to do, just one that involves more work than simply placing an order details command button adjacent to the order record.)

Regards,
Scott
Aug 12 '07 #2
2myle
Thanks Scott,

I hadn't realized you could add buttons to continuous form views. That is indeed a more elegant solution for what I wanted to do, it's already working.

Not that the "new user" argument is a big concern to me; my wife is my only customer... ;-)

Muchas gracias,

Erik
Aug 12 '07 #3
Scott Price
1,384 Expert 1GB
Thanks Scott,

I hadn't realized you could add buttons to continuous form views. That is indeed a more elegant solution for what I wanted to do, it's already working.

Not that the "new user" argument is a big concern to me; my wife is my only customer... ;-)

Muchas gracias,

Erik
De nada, Erik...

Glad to help! Glad you got it working, too... You're lucky that your only customer is your wife :-) End users can come up with remarkably clever ways to get into trouble with something that to the developer thinks is as simple as 1 2 3!!

Regards,
Scott
Aug 12 '07 #4

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Sydex | last post by:
When I compile code I get error C2664: 'Integration::qgaus' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'double (double)' to 'double (__cdecl *)(double)' in this part : double Integration::quad2d(double...
by: Anonymous | last post by:
Is there a non-brute force method of doing this? transform() looked likely but had no predefined function object. std::vector<double> src; std::vector<int> dest; ...
by: Bjørn Augestad | last post by:
Below is a program which converts a double to an integer in two different ways, giving me two different values for the int. The basic expression is 1.0 / (1.0 * 365.0) which should be 365, but one...
by: Robert Palma | last post by:
I'm having trouble figuring out how to pass a pointer to a double array (1 dimensional) to a C function. Declaring array as: double xx; Declaring func. int process( double *input ) Calling...
by: BlueTrin | last post by:
I am using a DLL written in C, it uses some pointers on functions, I have defined a wrapper around it in C# which uses some delegates: #region Delegates and Marshalling to call solvopt public...
by: lcw1964 | last post by:
This may be in the category of bush-league rudimentary, but I am quite perplexed on this and diligent Googling has not provided me with a clear straight answer--perhaps I don't know how to ask the...
by: JWest46088 | last post by:
I keep getting these error messages: area(double,double) in Rectangle cannot be applied to () return "Area: " + Rectangle.area() + "\tCircumference: " + Rectangle.perimeter(); ...
by: dj10fld | last post by:
I am getting a (cannot convert double to double in assignment errors) here is a part of my code #include <iostream> #include <iomanip> #include <cmath> using namespace std; #define MaxSize...
by: ratcharit | last post by:
Currently using cosine function in math.h Currently I get: 1 = cos(1e^-7) Is there another way for cos to return value of high accuracy say: 0.999999 = cos(1e^-7)
by: Genro | last post by:
#include<stdio.h> #include<TX/graphics.h> #include<time.h> // I need help! struct Krug{ double _x; double _y; double _skox; double _skoy; double...
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: aa123db | last post by:
Variable and constants Use var or let for variables and const fror constants. Var foo ='bar'; Let foo ='bar';const baz ='bar'; Functions function $name$ ($parameters$) { } ...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.