473,385 Members | 1,769 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,385 software developers and data experts.

what is the best & cheapest course to learn to become a sysadmin

Dear frends, i used dream to become a System Administrator.But what i only knew is that MCSE course. But some of my frens told me this day for server they mostly used LINUX/UNIX. MCSE is costly and they didn't teach the practical. Its only theory. so you better start it from the cheapest one. If you start with costly one, if you are not interested you will spend lost of money and u won't be able to understand.
As well , i don'nt know which and what course will bring me system admin.
if you have any idea about it please tell me... helphelp...
Aug 15 '07 #1
7 3615
sicarie
4,677 Expert Mod 4TB
Dear frends, i used dream to become a System Administrator.But what i only knew is that MCSE course. But some of my frens told me this day for server they mostly used LINUX/UNIX. MCSE is costly and they didn't teach the practical. Its only theory. so you better start it from the cheapest one. If you start with costly one, if you are not interested you will spend lost of money and u won't be able to understand.
As well , i don'nt know which and what course will bring me system admin.
if you have any idea about it please tell me... helphelp...
Linux/Unix boxen are mostly used for web servers. It is valuable experience for a sysadmin, but not necessary. Most domains today are done through Microsoft, and the MCSE cert would be the way to go.

If you are interested in administering web servers and the like, check into the RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) course.

Of course, the most valuable thing is experience, so I would recommend that you do two additional things while you are studying:

1) set up a lab at home. Even if it's on old pentium I machines, you will have actually touched and played with the software. This is more difficult to do with the Microsoft stuff as it has a dollar value attached to it, but will help when applying for a job. Conversely, it is easier to do the Linux lab, and the Linux Cert might be where you want to start your research (based on cost).

2) get an internship that allows you to have experience with these. While I was in school I never put together what a "star topology domain" was until I sat down in front of a domain controller and began playing with it. I got paid almost nothing, and was the low guy on the totem pole, but the experience let me get better jobs later - over the people in my class who hadn't done those things before.
Aug 15 '07 #2
Linux/Unix boxen are mostly used for web servers. It is valuable experience for a sysadmin, but not necessary. Most domains today are done through Microsoft, and the MCSE cert would be the way to go.

If you are interested in administering web servers and the like, check into the RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) course.

Of course, the most valuable thing is experience, so I would recommend that you do two additional things while you are studying:

1) set up a lab at home. Even if it's on old pentium I machines, you will have actually touched and played with the software. This is more difficult to do with the Microsoft stuff as it has a dollar value attached to it, but will help when applying for a job. Conversely, it is easier to do the Linux lab, and the Linux Cert might be where you want to start your research (based on cost).

2) get an internship that allows you to have experience with these. While I was in school I never put together what a "star topology domain" was until I sat down in front of a domain controller and began playing with it. I got paid almost nothing, and was the low guy on the totem pole, but the experience let me get better jobs later - over the people in my class who hadn't done those things before.
thanks for your reply. but i have an weekness.... I got 2 pc in my home. but i dont have any idea how to connect them.
i should connect like how? Only the LaN connection?
anyway which course do you firstly learn? RHCE or MCSE?
am just a beginner. so which course should make me more comfortable. do tell me step by step please
Aug 16 '07 #3
sicarie
4,677 Expert Mod 4TB
Well, you're asking a different question now. I would recommend researching "networking" on the web. Then you will find out how you are able to connect your two PCs, and choose whichever way you want to do it.

You first asked for a cost-effective analysis of the two. The Red Hat is cheaper. The Microsoft is more widely used.

As for step by step, I'd recommend reading about the courses, reading what they cover, and then researching that. You can buy books that cover those things, and then when you think you are ready, take the tests.
Aug 16 '07 #4

You first asked for a cost-effective analysis of the two. The Red Hat is cheaper. The Microsoft is more widely used.
REd hat is cheaper? and if i learn RED hat Will it help me in MCSE courses?
okay as you told me after i complete my BCA i'll go to Red Hat and after working for sumtimes i'll go to MCSE is that will be good?
Please suggest me... coz m just a beginner...
Aug 17 '07 #5
sicarie
4,677 Expert Mod 4TB
Whoa there. I only said Red Hat was cheaper. Some of the concepts of networking and some of the protocols, may be similar, bu they are very different technologies, and function very differently. You need to research them, research the job market by where you are, and then decide what is best for you.
Aug 17 '07 #6
Whoa there. I only said Red Hat was cheaper. Some of the concepts of networking and some of the protocols, may be similar, bu they are very different technologies, and function very differently. You need to research them, research the job market by where you are, and then decide what is best for you.
Okay, let me ask you different question here again.

I'm from South Delhi, India.
but my problem is this. I don't have any idea about Networking. But i like to become a sysadmin. As i know only sysadmin is like controlling the domain, server.
I'd like to become a sysadmin. but without having anyidea about netwroking or hardware things. if i jump directly to MCSE or RCHE will it be hard for me? Example: without any knowledge of C,C++ if someone directly learn JAVA it will realy hard for him to catchup
please suggest me... according to you opinion.
Aug 18 '07 #7
Okay, let me ask you different question here again.

I'm from South Delhi, India.
but my problem is this. I don't have any idea about Networking. But i like to become a sysadmin. As i know only sysadmin is like controlling the domain, server.
I'd like to become a sysadmin. but without having anyidea about netwroking or hardware things. if i jump directly to MCSE or RCHE will it be hard for me? Example: without any knowledge of C,C++ if someone directly learn JAVA it will realy hard for him to catchup
please suggest me... according to you opinion.
do you get my question Sir.?if you don't get me do let me know....
And if you get my question please tell me
Aug 23 '07 #8

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.