473,435 Members | 1,478 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,435 software developers and data experts.

Insert or add a rich text in memo field (access 2003)

medim84
How to format text in memo field for predefine text, using - default value - expression builder? For e.g. new row, bold text, font size…

Thanks
Aug 16 '07 #1
4 5965
Please............................,

anyone?
Aug 17 '07 #2
missinglinq
3,532 Expert 2GB
Welcome to TheScripts!

The reason you haven't received any responses, I suspect, is that this is an area that is so complicated and time consuming that experienced Access developers have long ago decided that "nice" displays are simply not worth the effort!

The Access native Rich Textbox ActiveX Control is a diaster, from what I've heard over the years. Stephen Lebans, who has routines for a multitude of specialty things being used by thousands of developers, has a hack for this availible gratis at http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm but, and this is unusual for him, it's been riddled with problems/bugs over the years, which speaks volumes of the complexity of the problem.

There are 3rd party add-ins, for $$$$, out there, but I have no experience with them, and they ususally are BIG$$$$$$. Access 2007 has RTF available as a standard feature, I understand, but haven't heard any reports back on that.

And finally, formatting, of any sort, of memo fields, leads to all sorts of problems when these fields are used in queries, ususally causing the fields to be truncated to 255 characters.

Linq ;0)>
Aug 17 '07 #3
Welcome to TheScripts!

The reason you haven't received any responses, I suspect, is that this is an area that is so complicated and time consuming that experienced Access developers have long ago decided that "nice" displays are simply not worth the effort!

The Access native Rich Textbox ActiveX Control is a diaster, from what I've heard over the years. Stephen Lebans, who has routines for a multitude of specialty things being used by thousands of developers, has a hack for this availible gratis at http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm but, and this is unusual for him, it's been riddled with problems/bugs over the years, which speaks volumes of the complexity of the problem.

There are 3rd party add-ins, for $$$$, out there, but I have no experience with them, and they ususally are BIG$$$$$$. Access 2007 has RTF available as a standard feature, I understand, but haven't heard any reports back on that.

And finally, formatting, of any sort, of memo fields, leads to all sorts of problems when these fields are used in queries, ususally causing the fields to be truncated to 255 characters.

Linq ;0)>
Thanks,
I realize how it’s complicate when I sow price of 3rd add-ins, they even more expensive then office 2007 which includes RTF
Aug 17 '07 #4
missinglinq
3,532 Expert 2GB
That's right! A pretty good rule of thumb is the costlier the add-ins the more difficult they've been to develop. Sometimes it's worth it; if you've got a budget to handle it or your development fees can bear it, or it's something you anticipate using repeatedly. My apps are primarily for non-techies, and they tend to be gun-shy when they see the standard Access data entry formats, so I spend a bit of time customizing my forms to look more VB6 interfaces, with command buttons whose purposes are self-evident, but you can go too far, I think, in trying to "beautify" forms. Too be honest, when I see posts form people who want to make their Access apps "cool" with flashing textboxes and multi-colored tab pages and such, I almost never bother to respond.Those kind of frills belong in video games and websites, not on databases.

Have a good weekend!

Linq ;0)>
Aug 17 '07 #5

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Alfredo Agosti | last post by:
Hi folks, I have an Access 2000 db with a memo field. Into the memo field I put text with bold attributes, URL etc etc What I need to to is converting the rich text contained into the memo...
by: Shyguy | last post by:
I want to create two buttons on a form. One would allow the user to Copy the contents of the current records memo field, the other would allow them to print. I set up a report based on the memo...
by: Neil | last post by:
Is there an editable RTF textbox control which allows the user to apply bold, italic, etc.? I tried the Microsoft Rich Textbox Control, but there doesn't seem to be a way to allow the user to...
by: ProDevel | last post by:
Hi, I'm desperately trying to figure out how to take rich-formatted text from a rich text box and store it in a memo field (or any other type of field!) in an Access database. Can anyone help??...
by: tlyczko | last post by:
Hello, I'm experimenting with Stephen Lebans' Rich Text Control for doing RTF data entry into a memo field. I imported the table, form, toobar, and modules from the A2k version into an A2k3...
by: bobdydd | last post by:
Hi All In the plan text version of a Memo field you can easily add a date by pressing Ctrl+Colon which makes life easy for the end user. However, if the Memo field is set to the Rich Text...
by: ARC | last post by:
Just found out something interesting with Access 2007... In table design, if you set a memo field to the new rich text option, and put that control on a form, set the control to rich text, you can...
by: Neil | last post by:
I posted a few days ago that it seems to me that the Access 2007 rich text feature does not support: a) full text justification; b) programmatic manipulation. I was hoping that someone might...
by: betaphase | last post by:
I am new to Access and I'm having trouble with a database someone else created. I am wondring why I am not being able to insert more than 255 characters to a memo field in Access 2003. We need a...
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new...
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The...
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.