473,288 Members | 1,710 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,288 software developers and data experts.

VB with Shell

Hi to everybody,

How to open the files otherthan .exe by using VB

can any body tell with example please

Thank u
Aug 16 '07 #1
3 7288
Stwange
126 Expert 100+
In your declarations at the top of the code, paste:

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Public Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
And then use this function:

1. Public Function ShellExec(ByVal strFile As String)
  2.     Dim x As Long: x = ShellExecute(0, "OPEN", strFile, "", "", 0)
  3. End Function
Passing the filepath as a parameter.

Hope that helps.
Aug 16 '07 #2
Stwange
126 Expert 100+
And the example you requested:

Private Sub cmdOpen_Click()
ShellExec("C:\testfile.doc")
End Sub
Aug 16 '07 #3
pureenhanoi
175 100+
In your declarations at the top of the code, paste:

1. Public Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
And then use this function:

1. Public Function ShellExec(ByVal strFile As String)
  2.     Dim x As Long: x = ShellExecute(0, "OPEN", strFile, "", "", 0)
  3. End Function
Passing the filepath as a parameter.

Hope that helps.
Woa, that's very nice. Sometimes I would be called Shell excute function, but Shell command in VB can't archive parameters with space character.
Aug 17 '07 #4

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: John Bowling | last post by:
I'm creating a routine (not in a browser) to move multiple files on a daily basis to a backup directory. It can be done easily by call shell functions like 'mv file* newdir'. I can't find any...
by: Siemel Naran | last post by:
Hi. I'm writing a command shell that reads commands from standard input. At this point I have the command in a std::string. Now I want to execute this command in the shell. From the Borland...
by: Lauren Wilson | last post by:
Hi folks, In an A2K app, I have attempted to use the following command in some VBA code with IDENTICAL results with every single version of the following: Shell "outlook.exe", vbHide Shell...
by: Mike | last post by:
Am trying to open a Microsoft Word .doc file using Access 2000 with Shell function (on Windows XP Operating system) Here is the code : Shell "C:\Program Files\Microsoft...
by: bearophileHUGS | last post by:
For array.array "B" means unsigned char, and such arrays accept to be initialized from (str) strings too, this is quite useful: But it seems such capability isn't shared with the append: ...
by: George Sakkis | last post by:
I'm trying to figure out why Popen captures the stderr of a specific command when it runs through the shell but not without it. IOW: cmd = if 1: # this captures both stdout and stderr as...
by: Tom Gur | last post by:
Hi, It's seems that csh and tcsh acts a bit different when handling special characters in quotes. i.e: if i'll supply my program with the following arguments: -winpath "c:\\temp\\" tcsh will...
by: dennijr | last post by:
ok, shell always used to be easy for me, now its starting to get annoying cause i dont know wats wrong heres the simplist code possible: Private Sub IExplorer_Click() a = Shell("C:\Program...
by: mmm | last post by:
I am looking for advice on Python Editors and IDEs I have read other posts and threads on the subject and my two questions at this time are mainly about the IDLE-like F5-run facilities. While I...
by: Samuel A. Falvo II | last post by:
I have a shell script script.sh that launches a Java process in the background using the &-operator, like so: #!/bin/bash java ... arguments here ... & In my Python code, I want to invoke...
by: MeoLessi9 | last post by:
I have VirtualBox installed on Windows 11 and now I would like to install Kali on a virtual machine. However, on the official website, I see two options: "Installer images" and "Virtual machines"....
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
The formulas of 101 quantitative trading alphas used by WorldQuant were presented in the paper 101 Formulaic Alphas. However, some formulas are complex, leading to challenges in calculation. Take...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
by: Aftab Ahmad | last post by:
Hello Experts! I have written a code in MS Access for a cmd called "WhatsApp Message" to open WhatsApp using that very code but the problem is that it gives a popup message everytime I clicked on...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: marcoviolo | last post by:
Dear all, I would like to implement on my worksheet an vlookup dynamic , that consider a change of pivot excel via win32com, from an external excel (without open it) and save the new file into a...
by: Vimpel783 | last post by:
Hello! Guys, I found this code on the Internet, but I need to modify it a little. It works well, the problem is this: Data is sent from only one cell, in this case B5, but it is necessary that data...
by: jfyes | last post by:
As a hardware engineer, after seeing that CEIWEI recently released a new tool for Modbus RTU Over TCP/UDP filtering and monitoring, I actively went to its official website to take a look. It turned...
by: PapaRatzi | last post by:
Hello, I am teaching myself MS Access forms design and Visual Basic. I've created a table to capture a list of Top 30 singles and forms to capture new entries. The final step is a form (unbound)...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.