473,408 Members | 1,907 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,408 software developers and data experts.

Ascii Codes

sgrec7
hi guys,

hey i looked everywere and i can't for the life of me find the ascii codes for these keys:

ctrl (the control button, bottom left corner of keyboard)

alt (the alt button, either side of the spacebar)

thanks guys, even if you link me the URL for a site that will help

thanks again in advance

sgrec7
Sep 3 '07 #1
13 3012
kadghar
1,295 Expert 1GB
hi guys,

hey i looked everywere and i can't for the life of me find the ascii codes for these keys:

ctrl (the control button, bottom left corner of keyboard)

alt (the alt button, either side of the spacebar)

thanks guys, even if you link me the URL for a site that will help

thanks again in advance

sgrec7
ctrl ---> 17
alt ---> 18

you can have it on a text box if you write in some other controls KeyDown event something like

textbox1.text = keycode

then just select that control an press the key you want to know ;)
Sep 4 '07 #2
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
These keys don't have ASCII codes.

ASCII defines values for the character set. These are keyboard keys, not characters.

The difference between KeyDown and KeyPress events is that one reports the actual key pressed, while the other reports the ASCII character which was generated as a result. For example, pressing the "A" key generates the keycode for that key (65). Depending on the current state of the Caps-Lock, Shift, Control and Alt and Shift keys, the ASCII character generated might be...
"A" (code 65), "a" (code 97), "Ctrl-A" (code 1) or whatever.
This is why keys such as Shift, Alt and so on do not trigger a KeyPress event.
Sep 4 '07 #3
sgrec7
yea thanks guys...

i want to use alt and ctrl in a keyprss event

will it still work ???
Sep 4 '07 #4
hariharanmca
1,977 1GB
yea thanks guys...

will it still work ???
You can try Key down and key up event using

KeyCode = vbKeyControl ==>> Control
KeyCode = vbKeyMenu ==>> Alt

there you find two perameter for key pressed and shift pressed

I think this will help you.
Sep 4 '07 #5
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
Are you sure you can't do it in the KeyDown or KeyUp event?

If you want, you can put code in your KeyPress event procedure to test the current state of these keys. I forget how, but detecting the current state of keys was covered here not too long ago. Maybe a couple of months back. Try some searches.
Sep 4 '07 #6
QVeen72
1,445 Expert 1GB
Hi,

U have to check the Shift in KeyUp event :
Values would be:
A C S
4 2 1

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Private Sub Text1_KeyUp(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
  2.   Select Case Shift
  3.          Case 1
  4.              MsgBox "Shift Pressed"
  5.          Case 2
  6.              MsgBox "Control Pressed"
  7.          Case 3
  8.              MsgBox "Shift + Control Pressed"
  9.          Case 4
  10.              MsgBox "Alt Pressed"
  11.          Case 5
  12.              MsgBox "Alt + Shift Pressed"
  13.          Case 6
  14.              MsgBox "Alt+Control Pressed"
  15.         Case 7
  16.              MsgBox "Alt+Shift+Control Pressed"
  17.   End Select
  18. End Sub
REgards
Veena
Sep 4 '07 #7
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
There's also an API function you can call to check the current key state. I just don't remember what it's called.
Sep 4 '07 #8
sgrec7
Are you sure you can't do it in the KeyDown or KeyUp event?

If you want, you can put code in your KeyPress event procedure to test the current state of these keys. I forget how, but detecting the current state of keys was covered here not too long ago. Maybe a couple of months back. Try some searches.
or you could just tell me !!! :-) that would be MUCH easer... for me !!! :-)
Sep 5 '07 #9
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
It certainly would. If I could remember it. I do remember it had "Asynch" in the name, but that's probably not a lot of help.
Sep 5 '07 #10
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
Ok, I spent some time searching, and managed to track down the thread I was thinking of. Here it is.

I hope it's some help.
Sep 5 '07 #11
QVeen72
1,445 Expert 1GB
Hi,

did u check my post above...?

Regards
Veena
Sep 5 '07 #12
kadghar
1,295 Expert 1GB
In my first post i wrote what the KeyCode were, and as Killer said, they dont have an ascii code, only a KeyCode. (the keycodes are 17 and 18), and im not sure they'll work in keypress, you should use them in keydown
Sep 5 '07 #13
sgrec7
In my first post i wrote what the KeyCode were, and as Killer said, they dont have an ascii code, only a KeyCode. (the keycodes are 17 and 18), and im not sure they'll work in keypress, you should use them in keydown
Thanks to all of you, but after reading through all that I think we will come to an agreement that space bar (32) will be much easier to deal with

thanks to you all again

sgrec7
Sep 5 '07 #14

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.