473,395 Members | 1,790 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,395 software developers and data experts.

Repeating values for a field in several records

I am using Access 2007, and I have a database in which one field is likely to have the same value for several records (eg the Age field in a table of students). How can I set this field on a form so that when a new record is created, the Age field defaults to the value used in that field on the previous record (so that I don't have to keep entering the same data)?

Thanks in advance.

Robert
Sep 5 '07 #1
7 8356
MikeTheBike
639 Expert 512MB
I am using Access 2007, and I have a database in which one field is likely to have the same value for several records (eg the Age field in a table of students). How can I set this field on a form so that when a new record is created, the Age field defaults to the value used in that field on the previous record (so that I don't have to keep entering the same data)?

Thanks in advance.

Robert
Hi

In my humble opinion, I think you should be storing the date of birth not the age (which changes)!!??

As usual there are many ways to do this I'm sure, but of the top of my head, this is one way

Declare a module level variable, say intAge

in the form before update event set this to intAge = age_control

in the form on current event set the age_control = intAge IF it is a new record
ie If Me.NewRecord Then age_control = intAge

This may need tweeking, depending on how the form operates.

MTB
Sep 5 '07 #2
FishVal
2,653 Expert 2GB

Thanks in advance.

Robert
Hi, Robert.

I suggest you to set DefaultValue property to current control value on AfterUpdate event.

Example for Date type field
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Private Sub dteDate_AfterUpdate()
  2.     With Me.dteDate
  3.         .DefaultValue = "#" & .Value & "#"
  4.     End With
  5. End Sub

Example for Numeric type field
  1. Private Sub lngNum_AfterUpdate()
  2.     With Me.lngNum
  3.         .DefaultValue = .Value
  4.     End With
  5. End Sub

Example for Text type field
  1. Private Sub txtText_AfterUpdate()
  2.     With Me.txtText
  3.         .DefaultValue = "'" & .Value & "'"
  4.     End With
  5. End Sub
Sep 5 '07 #3
Hi, Robert.

I suggest you to set DefaultValue property to current control value on AfterUpdate event.

Example for Date type field
  1. Private Sub dteDate_AfterUpdate()
  2.     With Me.dteDate
  3.         .DefaultValue = "#" & .Value & "#"
  4.     End With
  5. End Sub

Example for Numeric type field
  1. Private Sub lngNum_AfterUpdate()
  2.     With Me.lngNum
  4.     End With
  5. End Sub

Example for Text type field
  1. Private Sub txtText_AfterUpdate()
  2.     With Me.txtText
  3.         .DefaultValue = "'" & .Value & "'"
  4.     End With
  5. End Sub

Thanks, but I couldn't get it to work.

I tried with a numeric field and also a text field, without success.

My numeric field is called Age and I entered the code as you suggested. It looks like this:

1. Private Sub Age_AfterUpdate()
  2.     With Me.Age
  4.     End With
  5. End Sub
I presume the "Me" is a generic reference to the current form, but I tried the full form name as well, also without success.

Do you have any other suggestions for what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Robert
Sep 6 '07 #4
FishVal
2,653 Expert 2GB
Thanks, but I couldn't get it to work.

I tried with a numeric field and also a text field, without success.

My numeric field is called Age and I entered the code as you suggested. It looks like this:

2.     With Me.Age
  4.     End With
  5. End Sub
I presume the "Me" is a generic reference to the current form, but I tried the full form name as well, also without success.

Do you have any other suggestions for what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Robert
Hi, Robert.
The code was tested multiple times before. It just must work. ;)
1. Did you set Age.AfterUpdate property to "[Event procedure]"?
2. Toggle breakpoint on the line
and debug the sub.
I presume the "Me" is a generic reference to the current form
Yes. It is reference to the form - owner the form module.
Sep 6 '07 #5
Hi, Robert.
The code was tested multiple times before. It just must work. ;)
1. Did you set Age.AfterUpdate property to "[Event procedure]"?
2. Toggle breakpoint on the line
and debug the sub.

Yes. It is reference to the form - owner the form module.

Thanks, and OOPS!!!

My version of Access (perhaps all of them) has a security warning saying that "Certain content in the database has been disabled." When I clicked the Options to "Enable this content" everything worked fine.

Sorry that my ignorance caused you to spend time unnecessarily on this.

Thanks (and sorry) again

Robert
Sep 6 '07 #6
Hi

In my humble opinion, I think you should be storing the date of birth not the age (which changes)!!??

MTB
I agree, but I was just using this as an example - I actually have several fields which I want to repeat.

The problem has now been solved.

Thanks

Robert
Sep 6 '07 #7
FishVal
2,653 Expert 2GB
Thanks, and OOPS!!!

My version of Access (perhaps all of them) has a security warning saying that "Certain content in the database has been disabled." When I clicked the Options to "Enable this content" everything worked fine.

Sorry that my ignorance caused you to spend time unnecessarily on this.

Thanks (and sorry) again

Robert
Not a problem.
You are welcome.

Regards,
Fish
Sep 6 '07 #8

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.