473,396 Members | 2,102 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,396 software developers and data experts.

How can "1" != "1"

SammyB
807 Expert 512MB
I'm trying to keep up with you youngsters, so I'm taking a beginning Java course. As part of a homework assignment, we were to prompt the user for a number between 1 & 3. We also used while loops in the chapter, so I decided to put the prompt in a while loop to force the user to enter 1, 2 or 3. I was very surprised when it did not work, so I have written a 5-liner to show you the problem:
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. import javax.swing.JOptionPane;
  2. public class Weird {
  3.  public static void main(String[] args) 
  4.  {
  5.   String s = "";
  6.   while (s != "1" && s!= "2" && s!= "3")
  7.   {
  8.    s = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Enter 1, 2 or 3");
  9.    if (s == null) break;
  10.   }
  11.   if (s!= null) JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, s);
  12.  }
  13. }
I fixed the problem by parsing the string and testing for integers 1, 2, or 3, but the above code should work! The same code in VB works great:
  1. Sub NotWeird()
  2.     Dim s As String
  3.     Do While (s <> "1" And s <> "2" And s <> "3")
  4.         s = InputBox("Enter 1, 2 or 3")
  5.     Loop
  6.     MsgBox s
  7. End Sub
Looking at the Java code in the debugger, after the user enters 1, the debugger says s = "1" So far, great, but if I inspect s != "1", it says "s != "1"" = true

What is this crazyness?!?
Oct 7 '07 #1
12 1960
Ganon11
3,652 Expert 2GB
Here's a secret:

When you say

1. String myStr;
myStr isn't actually a String. Java tries to trick you into thinking it is (and trust me, that is good for a beginner!), but it's not. myStr is secretly a pointer. Basically, myStr holds an address somewhere in memory. That address is where your actual String is. So when you try and compare myStr to something else with == or !=, you're trying to compare the memory address with a String. So "1" != "1", because the String you use as the left hand side is in a different memory location than the "1" on the right side.

The people at Sun realized this, so they gave you a friendly little method in String called .equals(). So replace

1. myStr == "otherStr"
with

1. myStr.equals("otherStr")
Oct 7 '07 #2
SammyB
807 Expert 512MB
That's insane! But, very vital to know. It's interesting that
  1. String s = "1";
  2. if (s == "1")
  3.     MessageBox.Show("C# is not weird!");
  4. else
  5.     MessageBox.Show("C# is as weird as Java!");
string comparisons work in C# but not in Java. Thanks for your help, now I'll have to rewrite my homework like I wanted to in the first place!
Oct 7 '07 #3
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
That's insane! But, very vital to know. It's interesting that
  1. String s = "1";
  2. if (s == "1")
  3.     MessageBox.Show("C# is not weird!");
  4. else
  5.     MessageBox.Show("C# is as weird as Java!");
string comparisons work in C# but not in Java. Thanks for your help, now I'll have to rewrite my homework like I wanted to in the first place!
As a matter of fact the above might work. Literal Strings are stored in an 'intern'
pool and both "1" strings are stored only once in that pool; that makes your if-
clause succeed while you actually did it all wrong ;-)

kind regards,

Jos

ps. it's not 'insane'; it just doesn't work your prejudiced mind thought it should work.
Oct 7 '07 #4
SammyB
807 Expert 512MB
... it's not 'insane'; it just doesn't work your prejudiced mind thought it should work.
not prejudiced :D I just expect the compiler to say :You don't want to do this, Sam!" At a minimum, it could have said "Illegal Indirection, like C++. ROFL --Sam
Oct 7 '07 #5
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
not prejudiced :D I just expect the compiler to say :You don't want to do this, Sam!" At a minimum, it could have said "Illegal Indirection, like C++. ROFL --Sam
The compiler can't say that because it's perfectly legal to compare two pointers,
or 'references' as Java calls them; it two pointers compare equal both pointers
point to the same object.

For strings you don't want to compare pointers, you want to compare the *value*
of two (or one?) String object and the String class implements an 'equals' method
for that:

1. String s1= new String("foo");
  2. String s2= new String("foo");
  3. if (s1 == s2)
  4.    System.out.println("s1 and s2  point to same object");
  5. else if (s1.equals(s2))
  6.    System.out.println("s1 and s2 have equal value");
  7. else
  8.    System.out.println("s1 and s2 are different");
In C++ the overloaded '==' operator in the string class takes care of the 'equals'
functionality. Java doesn't have user defined overloaded operators.

kind regards,

Jos
Oct 8 '07 #6
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
I'm trying to keep up with you youngsters, so I'm taking a beginning Java course. As part of a homework assignment, we were to prompt the user for a number between 1 & 3. We also used while loops in the chapter, so I decided to put the prompt in a while loop to force the user to enter 1, 2 or 3. I was very surprised when it did not work, so I have written a 5-liner to show you the problem:
  2. public class Weird {
  3.  public static void main(String[] args) 
  4.  {
  5.   String s = "";
  6.   while (s != "1" && s!= "2" && s!= "3")
  7.   {
  8.    s = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Enter 1, 2 or 3");
  9.    if (s == null) break;
  10.   }
  11.   if (s!= null) JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, s);
  12.  }
  13. }
I fixed the problem by parsing the string and testing for integers 1, 2, or 3, but the above code should work! The same code in VB works great:
  1. Sub NotWeird()
  2.     Dim s As String
  3.     Do While (s <> "1" And s <> "2" And s <> "3")
  4.         s = InputBox("Enter 1, 2 or 3")
  5.     Loop
  6.     MsgBox s
  7. End Sub
Looking at the Java code in the debugger, after the user enters 1, the debugger says s = "1" So far, great, but if I inspect s != "1", it says "s != "1"" = true

What is this crazyness?!?
Oh! It's crazy alright! Its' quite the headache...

I also find Java sometimes gives you an error on a line, highlights the line, as result of modifications to completely different lines in the code. And of course the moment I put things back where they belong, Java's happy again...
Oct 13 '07 #7
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
Oh! It's crazy alright! Its' quite the headache...

I also find Java sometimes gives you an error on a line, highlights the line, as result of modifications to completely different lines in the code. And of course the moment I put things back where they belong, Java's happy again...
Read my reply #6 for an explanation of this 'crazyness'.
About those errors on 'unrelated' lines: your modifications have ruined the structure
of your program then and the compiler can only detect it when the rest of the
structure of your program can't make sense anymore which may be (many) lines
from where you made your mistake.

kind regards,

Jos
Oct 13 '07 #8
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
The compiler can't say that because it's perfectly legal to compare two pointers,
or 'references' as Java calls them; it two pointers compare equal both pointers
point to the same object.

For strings you don't want to compare pointers, you want to compare the *value*
of two (or one?) String object and the String class implements an 'equals' method
for that:

1. String s1= new String("foo");
  2. String s2= new String("foo");
  3. if (s1 == s2)
  4.    System.out.println("s1 and s2  point to same object");
  5. else if (s1.equals(s2))
  6.    System.out.println("s1 and s2 have equal value");
  7. else
  8.    System.out.println("s1 and s2 are different");
In C++ the overloaded '==' operator in the string class takes care of the 'equals'
functionality. Java doesn't have user defined overloaded operators.

kind regards,

Jos
Good heavens JosAH!

Java IS like JavaScript a lot of repect then. I cannot recall how I wrote this but in a previous reply specific to Sammy's scenario, I wondered whether:

2. Var s1 ="Something"
  3. Var s2 ="Something"
  5. If (s1 == s2) Then
  6.   This is good stuff
  7. Else
  8.   MsgBox ("Blaze blaze")
  9. End If
  10. ...
Mind you, I am missing brackets there, but does above signify the similarities in both languages, and if this is a fact, can I look to JavaScrip to get a better understanding of Java, of course to some degree?
Oct 15 '07 #9
SammyB
807 Expert 512MB
Good heavens JosAH!

Java IS like JavaScript a lot of repect then. I cannot recall how I wrote this but in a previous reply specific to Sammy's scenario, I wondered whether:

2. Var s1 ="Something"
  3. Var s2 ="Something"
  5. If (s1 == s2) Then
  6. This is good stuff
  7. Else
  8. MsgBox ("Blaze blaze")
  9. End If
  10. ...
Mind you, I am missing brackets there, but does above signify the similarities in both languages, and if this is a fact, can I look to JavaScrip to get a better understanding of Java, of course to some degree?
But, as Jos pointed out above, this will print good stuff in Java also because s1 and s2 are both pointing to the same string.

Run the following and see if it helps!
  2. public class Weird 
  3. {
  4.  public static void main(String[] args) 
  5.  {
  6.   String s1 ="Something";
  7.   String s2 ="Something";
  8.   if (s1 == s2)
  9.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You just think this is good stuff");
  10.   else
  11.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Blaze blaze");
  12.   s2 ="Something else";
  13.   s2 = s2.substring(0, 9);
  14.   if (s1 == s2)
  15.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "This is not expected");
  16.   else
  17.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Blaze blaze");
  18.   if (s1.equals(s2))
  19.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Jos is always right!");
  20.   else
  21.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Why bother with this message!");
  23.  }
  24. }
Oct 15 '07 #10
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
But, as Jos pointed out above, this will print good stuff in Java also because s1 and s2 are both pointing to the same string.

Run the following and see if it helps!
  2. public class Weird 
  3. {
  4.  public static void main(String[] args) 
  5.  {
  6.   String s1 ="Something";
  7.   String s2 ="Something";
  8.   if (s1 == s2)
  9.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "You just think this is good stuff");
  10.   else
  11.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Blaze blaze");
  12.   s2 ="Something else";
  13.   s2 = s2.substring(0, 9);
  14.   if (s1 == s2)
  15.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "This is not expected");
  16.   else
  17.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Blaze blaze");
  18.   if (s1.equals(s2))
  19.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Jos is always right!");
  20.   else
  21.    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Why bother with this message!");
  23.  }
  24. }
I must have missed a step or two but I was stuck in what seemed to be an endless loop, should I get pop ups to enter stuff, should I have pressed ok for in pop up with "{ }" in the box?
Oct 15 '07 #11
SammyB
807 Expert 512MB
I must have missed a step or two but I was stuck in what seemed to be an endless loop, should I get pop ups to enter stuff, should I have pressed ok for in pop up with "{ }" in the box?
Copy and paste into Weird.java & run it. You get three popups:
You just think this is good stuff
Blaze blaze
Jos is always right!
Oct 15 '07 #12
Hey you can write the code using the String Methods.

Here is the code which i modified.

while (!s.equalsIgnoreCase("1") && !s.equalsIgnoreCase("2") && !s.equalsIgnoreCase("3"))

{

s = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Enter 1, 2 or 3");

if (s == null) break;

}
Oct 15 '07 #13

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.