473,388 Members | 1,600 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,388 software developers and data experts.

count last row in a excel file

ganesanji
Hi all,

I have written a php coding for uploading a csv file to database. I want to know the last row of the csv file. How to calculate the the last row of the excel file using php coding. Please anyone give me help.... I am not good in english if u found any mistake in my words plz dont mistake me......

Please send me the php coding to calculate the last row of excel file....

thanks.
Oct 9 '07 #1
8 19224
Atli
5,058 Expert 4TB
Hi.

Have you made any attempt at this yourself?
Could we see what you did?
Why (how) did it not work?
Are you getting any errors?

We are more than happy to help you solve problems you are having with your code, but we won't write the code for you.
Oct 9 '07 #2
Hi.

Have you made any attempt at this yourself?
Could we see what you did?
Why (how) did it not work?
Are you getting any errors?

We are more than happy to help you solve problems you are having with your code, but we won't write the code for you.
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. <?php
  2. session_start();
  3. ?>
  4. <?php
  5.   $name1=$_SESSION['name'];  
  6.   $file1=$_SESSION['path'];
  7.   echo $file1;
  8.   echo "<br/>";
  9.   require_once('reader.php'); // include the class
  10.   $data = new Spreadsheet_Excel_Reader(); // instantiate the object
  11.   $data->setOutputEncoding('CP1251'); // select output encoding
  12.   $data->read("$file1/*.xls"); // specify the file to read
  13. /* We start reading the file from row 4 because that's where the 
  14.   data in the table starts */
  15.    $startRow = 2;
  17. /* Get all the cells of the sheet */
  18.   $cells = $data->sheets[0]['cells'];
  19. /* We create a nice table to display the data */
  20. //  echo "<table border='1' style='font-size:14px;font-family:Arial;'>
  21. //  <tr><td>Phone No.</td><td>First Name</td><td>Last Name</td><td>Address1</td><td>Address2</td><td>State</td><td>City</td>
  22. //  <td>Zip</td></tr>";
  23. /* Loop through the table. In this case we know that the table has only
  24.   4 rows.*/
  25.   for ($row = $startRow;$row <= 10;$row++) 
  27.   {
  28.   /* Assign all the columns */
  29.   $phone = $cells[$row][1]; 
  30.   $firstname = $cells[$row][2];
  31.   $lastname = $cells[$row][3];
  32.   $address1 = $cells[$row][4];
  33.   $address2 = $cells[$row][5];
  34.   $state = $cells[$row][6];
  35.   $city = $cells[$row][7];
  36.   $zip = $cells[$row][8];
  37.   $id = $cells[$row][9];
  38.  /* Then display them 
  39.   echo "<tr><td>" . $phone . "</td>";
  40.   echo "<td>" . $firstname . "</td>";
  41.   echo "<td>" . $lastname . "</td>";
  42.   echo "<td>" . $address1 . "</td>";
  43.   echo "<td>" . $address2 . "</td>";
  44.   echo "<td>" . $state . "</td>";
  45.   echo "<td>" . $city . "</td>";
  46.   echo "<td>" . $zip . "</td>";
  47.   echo "<td>" . $id . "</td></tr>";  */
  48.   mysql_connect('localhost','root','123456');
  49.   mysql_select_db("dialer");  
  50.   mysql_query("insert into $name1(phone,firstname,lastname,address1,address2,state,city,zip)values('$phone','$firstname',
  51.   '$lastname','$address1','$address2','$state','$city','$zip')");  
  52.   }
  53.   echo "Successfully Inserted";
  54.   ?>
In this code I used one for loop that loop I specified the range limit that is 10 ,
we don't know how many rows data is there .so that I want the last
row in every file how to find .
Oct 10 '07 #3
Atli
5,058 Expert 4TB
OK. I think I understand how the Spreadsheet_Excel_Reader object works.

You should be able to find the last row somewhat like this:
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. # Get first sheet
  2. $sheet = $data->sheets[0];
  4. # Get all rows in the sheet
  5. $rows = $sheet['cells'];;
  7. # Find total number of rows
  8. $rowCount = count($rows);
  10. # Show data from last row
  11. echo "<table><tr>";
  12. foreach($rows[$rowCount -1] as $col) {
  13.   echo "<td>$col</td>";
  14. }
  15. echo "</tr></table>";
P.S.
Please use [code] tags when posting source code. It is impossible to read your code without them!
Oct 10 '07 #4
hi Atli,

I thank a lot.........
Its now working perfectly.......

Again thank a lot...........
Oct 11 '07 #5
zensunni
101 100+
May I ask where you got that reader.php script? I would like very much to be able to read xls documents.

Thanks.
Nov 30 '07 #6
Atli
5,058 Expert 4TB
Hi.

I Googled the class name and I found this link.

I think this is what he is using, tho there may be a small bug in the reader.php code. Namely the require_once function at line 31 may need to be altered to fit the downloaded files.
Dec 1 '07 #7
@Atli

where to download the 'OLERead.php' file that required in line 31..?
Apr 12 '12 #8
johny10151981
1,059 1GB
I didnt read your code.

But from you initial question I am totally confused.

I want to know the last row of the csv file. How to calculate the the last row of the excel file using php coding.

What do you want last row of csv file or last row or excel file or both?

do you actually need last row of the file or count of rows?

in case of php you dont need any special software. But in case of excel I would suggest you to try PHPExcel. If you download PHPExcel you will also get OLERead.php file.
Apr 12 '12 #9

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.