473,387 Members | 1,585 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,387 software developers and data experts.

How to rank a query in MS Access?

Hi everyone,

I'm bulding a query that returns the sales per week and per branche, e.g.:
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Week  Branch   Sales     RANKING
  2. 1st    AAA       10         1
  3. 1st    BBB       15         2
  4. 2nd    AAA        5         2
  5. 2nd    BBB       10         1
  6. 2nd    CCC        3         3
THe last column is the one that I want to add: In a module, how can I rank the best branches per week in order to give me the results as shown above?

Thks for your help,
Manuel
Oct 24 '07 #1
6 17399
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
Assuming a recordsource [tblSales] with fields [Week]; [Branch] & [Sales], you could try :
  1. SELECT S1.Week, S1.Branch, S1.Sales, Count(S2.Week) + 1 AS [Ranking]
  2. FROM [tblSales] AS [S1] LEFT JOIN [tblSales] AS [S2]
  3.   ON S1.Week = S2.Week
  4.  AND S1.Sales < S2.Sales
  5. GROUP BY S1.Week, S1.Branch
  6. ORDER BY S1.Week, S1.Branch
Oct 24 '07 #2
Hi,

Thks 4 ur answer, but it did not work. I wonder if there is any solution in a Module, on which afterwards I could "call" the function. Otherwise, I'm not seeing any other (easy) solution..

Cheers,
Manuel
Oct 24 '07 #3
nico5038
3,080 Expert 2GB
For this you can use the DCount() function in your query. Let's assume your basic query determines Week, Branch and Sales and is named "qryWeeklySales".
The Dcount would then be:
  1. select *, Dcount("*","qryWeeklySales","Branch='" & [branch] & "' and Sales<=" & [sales]) As Ranking from qryWeeklySales;
This will count the sales being equal or less as the sales from the current record.
This will however make a very slow query...

Nic;o)
Oct 24 '07 #4
Rabbit
12,516 Expert Mod 8TB
For this you can use the DCount() function in your query. Let's assume your basic query determines Week, Branch and Sales and is named "qryWeeklySales".
The Dcount would then be:
  1. select *, Dcount("*","qryWeeklySales","Branch='" & [branch] & "' and Sales<=" & [sales]) As Ranking from qryWeeklySales;
This will count the sales being equal or less as the sales from the current record.
This will however make a very slow query...

Nic;o)
This will be faster:
  1. SELECT *, ((SELECT Count(*) FROM qryWeeklySales WHERE Branch = x.Branch AND Sales > x.Sales;)+1) AS Rank
  2. FROM qryWeeklySales AS x;
You need to use greater than if you're trying to rank by descending sales.
Oct 24 '07 #5
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
Hi,

Thks 4 ur answer, but it did not work. I wonder if there is any solution in a Module, on which afterwards I could "call" the function. Otherwise, I'm not seeing any other (easy) solution..

Cheers,
Manuel
A function here would be really messy. Not absolutely impossible but definitely not to be recommended.
If you tell me where my suggestion failed I can look at that further for you. However, as Nico & Rabbit have provided what seem to be workable alternatives already, only do so if you still require my solution.
Oct 25 '07 #6
NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
There were questions posted related to some of the answers here which have been moved to their own separate thread (Basic SQL Questions). Any interested parties should ensure they are subscribed to the new thread.
Also, bugs were noticed in the SQL from my post (#2) which have now been fixed.
Nov 19 '07 #7

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Cady Steldyn | last post by:
Example: Date | ItemCode | Stock_In_qty | Stock_Out_qty | Bal_qty ------------------------------------------------------------------ 12/09/2003 | A100 | 20 | 0 ...
by: PMBragg | last post by:
Thank you in advance. I'm trying to pull all inventory items from December of the previous year back to 4 years for my accountant. I know this can be done, but I'm drawing a blank. I've tried; ...
by: PMBragg | last post by:
Thank you everyone that helped me with my DateSerial question. I really do appreciate it. Now my accountant has told I need to pull the inventory for just the year I'm depreciating. Is there a way...
by: P Adhia | last post by:
Hi, I am trying to understand why following simple query is running very slow (33 hours) select ROW_ID , a.CREATED , a.CREATED_BY , a.LAST_UPD , a.LAST_UPD_BY
by: rguarnieri | last post by:
Hi! I'm trying to create a query with a boolean expression like this: select (4 and 1) as Value from Table1 this query return always -1, but when I make the same calculation in visual...
by: Jakob32 | last post by:
Hi I'm trying to link information from a query in another Access database to my own Access database using this code (which have worked fine for me earlier). SELECT * FROM MinHL IN...
by: GladGad | last post by:
I am not a real well versed query writer and therefore am having some problems figuring out how to write a parameter query where I want to input a partial name. I have tried a few different things,...
by: HowHow | last post by:
First time using crosstab query because tired of creating queries and put them together in one query (such a stupid thing to do :D). Not sure how it works still. I have link table called...
by: lisles | last post by:
i have a page funtion.php which hs the function to connect to the db /* Mysql Connection */ function connect(){ global $db_server,$db_user,$db_pass,$db;//Global Values from the config.php...
by: Tiddles | last post by:
Hi I have a query that ranks some scores, which you kind folks helped me with. However the query isn't quite ranking tied scores as I would like. Instead of 1,2,2,4 it provides 1,3,3,4. I...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: aa123db | last post by:
Variable and constants Use var or let for variables and const fror constants. Var foo ='bar'; Let foo ='bar';const baz ='bar'; Functions function $name$ ($parameters$) { } ...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.