473,325 Members | 2,671 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,325 software developers and data experts.

Passing messages between classes

bartonc
6,596 Expert 4TB
I'm working on a scheme which reduces the interface between classed to a single method and a list messages that the co-operative class knows. I invite all comments and/or critiques/improvements: We could even turn this into an article!
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. class AnyClass(object):
  2.     """Demonstrate massage passing:
  3.         This is the subordinate class."""
  4.     def Funct1(self, arg1):
  5.         print "AnyClass.Funct1 got", arg1
  6.         self.Send("MESSAGE3", arg1, string1='hello', string2='world')
  8.     def Funct2(self, arg2, arg3):
  9.         print arg2, arg3
  11.     def Funct3(self, count, **kwargs):
  12.         """Must document the names of the kwargs here:
  13.            Funct3(count, string1, string2)"""
  14.         print count, kwargs['string1'], kwargs['string2']
  17.     # Of cource, the sender and the reciver would typically have different massages
  18.     DispatchDict = {'MESSAGE1':Funct1, 'MESSAGE2':Funct2, 'MESSAGE3':Funct3}
  20.     def Receive(self, *args, **kwargs):
  21.         self.DispatchDict[args[0]](self, *args[1:], **kwargs)
  23.     def Connect(self, callback):
  24.         self.Send = callback
  25.         return self.Receive
  28. class AnyOtherClass(object):
  29.     """Demonstrate massage passing:
  30.         This is the superior class."""
  31.     def __init__(self):
  32.         self.Worker = AnyClass()
  33.         self.Send = self.Worker.Connect(self.Receive)
  34.         self.Send('MESSAGE1', 5)
  36.     def Funct1(self, arg1):
  37.         print arg1
  39.     def Funct2(self, arg2, arg3):
  40.         print arg2, arg3
  42.     def Funct3(self, count, **kwargs):
  43.         """Must document the names of the kwargs here:
  44.            Funct3(count, string1, string2)"""
  45.         print count, kwargs['string1'], kwargs['string2']
  48.     # Of cource, the sender and the reciver would typically have different massages
  49.     DispatchDict = {'MESSAGE1':Funct1, 'MESSAGE2':Funct2, 'MESSAGE3':Funct3}
  51.     def Receive(self, *args, **kwargs):
  52.         self.DispatchDict[args[0]](self, *args[1:], **kwargs)
  54. test = AnyOtherClass()
Nov 3 '07 #1
0 1408

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: cold | last post by:
I'm trying to write an helper class that allows me to serialize objects to a socket (or a NetworkStream). I know there are plenty of .NET classes that help me to serialize object to an array of...
by: Gvs | last post by:
Hi, I'm currently trying to pass messages into a queue. This all works fine, however, i'm trying to my program to stop sending messages to the queue when it reaches an upper threshold. At...
by: Schorschi | last post by:
Can someone please point out why I am getting an 87 error? I am sure it is obvious, but I am new to C# and seem to be having a lot of stress understanding managed versus unmanaged code when API...
by: Adam | last post by:
Hi, How do i listen for windows messages in c# on compact.net? I have a window containing an instantiation of the HTML viewer control, which is a child of the main form. As the compact...
by: Arsen Vladimirskiy | last post by:
Hello, If I have a few simple classes to represent Entities such as Customers and Orders. What is the proper way to pass information to the Data Access Layer? 1) Pass the actual ENTITY to...
by: Curious | last post by:
Hi, I need some technique to communicate by passing messages with different threads. For my problem shared memory is not applicable. Can someone give me some help of what there is available...
by: Stan | last post by:
There are two ways to pass structured data to a web service: xml === <Order OrderId="123" OrderAmount="234" /> or class =====
by: Andrew Bullock | last post by:
Hi, I have two classes, A and B, B takes an A as an argument in its constructor: A a1 = new A(); B b = new B(a1);
by: AAaron123 | last post by:
On a Form I have a RichTextBox. I do the call for EM_SETEVENTMASK with ENM_REQUESTRESIZE The user control's WndProc writes to the consol to keep track of any EN_REQUESTRESIZE messages. As...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: Vimpel783 | last post by:
Hello! Guys, I found this code on the Internet, but I need to modify it a little. It works well, the problem is this: Data is sent from only one cell, in this case B5, but it is necessary that data...
by: ArrayDB | last post by:
The error message I've encountered is; ERROR:root:Error generating model response: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000000005140, which seems to be indicative of an access violation...
by: PapaRatzi | last post by:
Hello, I am teaching myself MS Access forms design and Visual Basic. I've created a table to capture a list of Top 30 singles and forms to capture new entries. The final step is a form (unbound)...
by: Defcon1945 | last post by:
I'm trying to learn Python using Pycharm but import shutil doesn't work
by: af34tf | last post by:
Hi Guys, I have a domain whose name is BytesLimited.com, and I want to sell it. Does anyone know about platforms that allow me to list my domain in auction for free. Thank you
by: Faith0G | last post by:
I am starting a new it consulting business and it's been a while since I setup a new website. Is wordpress still the best web based software for hosting a 5 page website? The webpages will be...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 3 Apr 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome former...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.