473,414 Members | 1,688 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,414 software developers and data experts.

Listbox Columns INSERT into Table, HALP!

gcoaster
117 100+
Hello Scripts gurus

I am Filling a Listbox with combo box values
the listbox is showing multiple values
what I am trying to do is get these values to
INSERT into a table!! this code only inserts one.

Thank you in advance,

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Private Sub cmdAddProd_Click()
  2. If IsNull(Me.lstAddedProd) And Not IsNull(Me.lstProduct) Then
  5. Dim db As DAO.Database
  6. Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
  8. Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone
  10.   With rs
  12.     .AddNew
  14.     !productName = Me.lstProduct.Column(1)
  15.     !UnitPrice = Me.lstProduct.Column(2)
  17.     .Update
  19.   End With
  21.    Me.lstAddedProd.Requery
  22.    Me.lstProduct.Requery
  24.    Me.lstAddedProd = Null
  25.    Me.lstProduct = Null
  27. Set rs = Nothing
  29.   End If
  31. End Sub
Nov 21 '07 #1
6 9042
JustJim
407 Expert 256MB
Hello Scripts gurus

I am Filling a Listbox with combo box values
the listbox is showing multiple values
what I am trying to do is get these values to
INSERT into a table!! this code only inserts one.

Thank you in advance,

1. Private Sub cmdAddProd_Click()
  2. If IsNull(Me.lstAddedProd) And Not IsNull(Me.lstProduct) Then
  5. Dim db As DAO.Database
  6. Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
  8. Set rs = Me.RecordsetClone
  10.   With rs
  12.     .AddNew
  14.     !productName = Me.lstProduct.Column(1)
  15.     !UnitPrice = Me.lstProduct.Column(2)
  17.     .Update
  19.   End With
  21.    Me.lstAddedProd.Requery
  22.    Me.lstProduct.Requery
  24.    Me.lstAddedProd = Null
  25.    Me.lstProduct = Null
  27. Set rs = Nothing
  29.   End If
  31. End Sub
Have a look here for a brief discussion about getting all the selected data out of a multiselect listbox.

Have fun

Jim
Nov 21 '07 #2
gcoaster
117 100+
Have a look here for a brief discussion about getting all the selected data out of a multiselect listbox.
Have fun
Jim
I will have FUN when this is working! ;-)
I see, thank you for that, it is telling me my method is not the best..

is this close?
  1. Dim valSelect As Variant
  2. Dim strValue As String ' just used for the demonstration
  4.     For Each valSelect In Me.lstProduct.ItemsSelected
  5.         strValue = strValue & "'" & Me.lstProduct.ItemData(valSelect) & "', "
  6.     Next valSelect
  8. End Sub
I also found this method on this brilliant forum

1.         Private Sub cmdSubmit_Click()
  2.         Dim valSelect As Variant
  3.         Dim strSQL As String
  5.            For Each valSelect In Me.listboxName.ItemsSelected
  6.               strSQL = "INSERT INTO Interest (applicantID, officeID) VALUES (" & _
  7.               Me.applicantID & ", " & Me.listboxName.ItemData(valSelect) & ")"
  8.            Next valSelect
  10.            Me.SubformObjectName.Requery
  12.         End Sub
Nov 21 '07 #3
JustJim
407 Expert 256MB
I will have FUN when this is working! ;-)
I see, thank you for that, it is telling me my method is not the best..

is this close?
  1. Dim valSelect As Variant
  2. Dim strValue As String ' just used for the demonstration
  4.     For Each valSelect In Me.lstProduct.ItemsSelected
  5.         strValue = strValue & "'" & Me.lstProduct.ItemData(valSelect) & "', "
  6.     Next valSelect
  8. End Sub
I also found this method on this brilliant forum

1.         Private Sub cmdSubmit_Click()
  2.         Dim valSelect As Variant
  3.         Dim strSQL As String
  5.            For Each valSelect In Me.listboxName.ItemsSelected
  6.               strSQL = "INSERT INTO Interest (applicantID, officeID) VALUES (" & _
  7.               Me.applicantID & ", " & Me.listboxName.ItemData(valSelect) & ")"
  8.            Next valSelect
  10.            Me.SubformObjectName.Requery
  12.         End Sub
The first method builds up a string made up of all the selected values in the multi select list box (don't forget to get rid of the trailing comma) and you could use this string to add data to your table.

The second method builds up a string of SQL code that would run an append query to add data to your table.

The choice is yours - I'm not competent to comment on the efficiency of either method.

Jim
Nov 21 '07 #4
gcoaster
117 100+
The first method builds up a string made up of all the selected values in the multi select list box (don't forget to get rid of the trailing comma) and you could use this string to add data to your table.

The second method builds up a string of SQL code that would run an append query to add data to your table.

The choice is yours - I'm not competent to comment on the efficiency of either method.

Jim
Thank You Jim,

Where would I insert the INSERT?

INSERT into tblINVOICEDETAILS
Nov 21 '07 #5
JustJim
407 Expert 256MB
Thank You Jim,

Where would I insert the INSERT?

INSERT into tblINVOICEDETAILS
Put a command button near the multiselect list box so that your users can click on it after they have made their selections. Put the code that builds up the SQL INSERT INTO string in the On-Click event of that button. You will also need the RunSQL method of the DoCmd object.

Jim
Nov 21 '07 #6
gcoaster
117 100+
Put a command button near the multiselect list box so that your users can click on it after they have made their selections. Put the code that builds up the SQL INSERT INTO string in the On-Click event of that button. You will also need the RunSQL method of the DoCmd object.

Jim
Thank you Jim, that really helped me. you guys are the best!
Nov 28 '07 #7

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.