473,412 Members | 3,471 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,412 software developers and data experts.

no "host.frm"

Hi all, new to this ng and trying to run MySQL for the first time ever.
The box runs Slackware 9.0 on a Duron, the version MySQL is
"mysql-3.23.56-i386-1" as supplied with the distro.

Starting mysqld with

# /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &

gives me

# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql 031004
21:48:25 mysqld ended

(I did do # mysql_install_db also copied my-small.cnf to my.cnf)

I get a host.err log saying:

031004 21:48:25 mysqld started
031004 21:48:25 /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm'
(errno: 13) 031004 21:48:25 mysqld ended

Looks to be a common problem - but what's the fix? I tried using touch to
make a mysql/host.frm empty file in libexec or in etc, but still get the same
error.

Any help appreciated,
TIA, Monster
--
Spam will eat itself

Jul 19 '05 #1
4 9264
Hi,

make a mysql/host.frm empty file in libexec or in etc, but still get the
same error.

have you created the database tables? There must be a script called
mysql_install_db or so ... Check /usr/bin after that an execute it ...

Brgds,
Jens

Jul 19 '05 #2
Hi,

make a mysql/host.frm empty file in libexec or in etc, but still get the
same error.

Brgds,
Jens

Jul 19 '05 #3
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 19:47:12 +0200, Jens Schanz wrote:

Yes, I had done that. Fixed it now - I discovered my slocate was out of
date! The permissions on /var/lib/mysql/mysql were set to root.root so I
changed to mysql.root. Everything is working now!

Thanks,
Alexis
--
Spam will eat itself

Jul 19 '05 #4
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 19:47:12 +0200, Jens Schanz wrote:

Yes, I had done that. Fixed it now - I discovered my slocate was out of
date! The permissions on /var/lib/mysql/mysql were set to root.root so I
changed to mysql.root. Everything is working now!

Thanks,
Alexis
--
Spam will eat itself

Jul 19 '05 #5

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: F. Da Costa | last post by:
Hi, I was wondering *why* there is a difference between the results of the following two statements. On the suface they seem to do the same (or do they?) frm => returns void ...
by: mike | last post by:
regards: Does each HTTP Request have "Host:" header? Any positive suggestion is welcome. thank you May goodness be with you all
by: lasabo | last post by:
Hi, I'm trying to write a software that log in to a password- protected page, but when I try to open the page and send inn the password, the server refere to the index.htm before I get to post...
by: Bigdave | last post by:
hi Ive recently started coding a small project in c# using microsofts 2005 beta, i am trying to setup a small application that will send a string to a server via udp, then for that same app to...
by: Mike | last post by:
VB .NET 2003, Pocket PC 2003, CF 1.0 SP 2 Only when I use a proxy server, I'm getting this error when attempting to write data to a Stream object from an HTTPWebRequest object....
by: Durai | last post by:
Hello All, I built postgresql on HPUX IPF(11.22) platform. It works fine. But I have warning message "could not resolve "localhost": host nor service provided, or not known" when I start the...
by: srinu | last post by:
Hello, We had one webserver based on a linux machine. The website is fully function and designed by a different person. Now we moved the machine from one IP to another one. I changed the...
by: SisAndz | last post by:
Hello, I'm trying to do a secure connect to the site https://212.77.100.18/p/ with ..net 2.0 HttpWebRequest class, unfortunately for some reason I'm not able to do that - WebException is thrown...
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.