java errors - what does this mean??

17 New Member
class, interface, or enum expected
DVD CLASS
^

class, interface, or enum expected
DVDINVENTORY CLASS
^

HOW DO I FIX THESE TWO ERRORS WITHOUT GETTING OTHER ERRORS???

here is my code:

DVD CLASS

public class Dvd {

private String productNumber;
private String itemName;
private int numberOfUnits;
private double pricePerUnit;

public Dvd(String prodNo, String name, int noUnits, double price) {
productNumber = prodNo;
itemName = name;
numberOfUnits = noUnits;
pricePerUnit = price;
}

public String getProductNumbe r() { return productNumber; }
public String getItemName() { return itemName; }
public int getNumberOfUnit s() { return numberOfUnits; }
public double getPricePerUnit () { return pricePerUnit; }

public double calculateInvent oryValue() {
return numberOfUnits*p ricePerUnit;
}

}

DVDINVENTORY CLASS

import java.util.Scann er;

public class DvdInventory {

public static void main(String[] args) {
int SIZE = 100;
Dvd[] myDvds = new Dvd[SIZE];
int numberOfDvds = 0;
while (numberOfDvds < SIZE) {
Dvd dvd = readDvd();
if(dvd == null) { break; }
myDvds[numberOfDvds++] = dvd;
}
for(Dvd dvd : myDvds) { System.out.prin tln(dvd); }
System.out.prin tln("Value of Inventory: $ "+calculateInve ntoryValue(myDv ds));
}

private static Dvd readDvd() {
Scanner in = new Scanner(System. in);
System.out.prin t("Enter item name or \"quit\" to stop: ");
String itemName = in.nextLine();
if(itemName.equ alsIgnoreCase(" quit")) { return null; }
System.out.prin t("Enter product number: ");
String productNumber = in.nextLine();
System.out.prin t("Enter number of units: ");
int numberOfUnits = in.nextInt();
System.out.prin t("Enter price per unit: ");
double pricePerUnit = in.nextDouble() ;
return new Dvd(productNumb er,itemName,num berOfUnits);
}

private static double calculateInvent oryValue(Dvd[] dvds) {
double result = 0;
for(Dvd dvd : dvds) { result += dvd.calculateIn ventoryValue(); }
return result;
}

}
Nov 28 '07 #1
12 3634
JosAH
11,448 Recognized Expert MVP
here is my code:

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. DVD CLASS
I think you should get rid of that preamble. Why did you prepend it to your source
code in the first place?

kind regards,

Jos
Nov 28 '07 #2
Kiamari
17 New Member
I think you should get rid of that preamble. Why did you prepend it to your source
code in the first place?

kind regards,

Jos
im new to java...umm i dont know what you mean??
Nov 28 '07 #3
JosAH
im new to java...umm i dont know what you mean??
Remove the lines "DVD CLASS" and "DVDINVENTO RY CLASS".

kind regards,

Jos
Nov 29 '07 #4
Kiamari
17 New Member
Remove the lines "DVD CLASS" and "DVDINVENTO RY CLASS".

kind regards,

Jos
ok, so i did what you said about removing the two lines and now i get these errors:

in the build output window it says: class, interface, or enum expected
^
1 error

in the general output window it says: java.lang.NoCla ssDefFoundError : DvdInventory
Exception in thread "main"
Process completed.

now how do i fix these two errors?

it seems when i try to fix errors...others occur...*sighs* .....is my code not right or something????
Nov 29 '07 #5
JosAH
it seems when i try to fix errors...others occur...*sighs* .....is my code not right or something????
I don't know about 'or something' but your code is definitely not right; if the compiler
can't find the Scanner class you either have an old version of Java (older than 1.5)
of you have an installation problem. The other error is just because you wanted
to run a class that didn't even properly compile. You should check your Java
version and if needed upgrade and try again.

kind regards,

Jos
Nov 29 '07 #6
r035198x
13,262 MVP
ok, so i did what you said about removing the two lines and now i get these errors:

in the build output window it says: class, interface, or enum expected
^
1 error

in the general output window it says: java.lang.NoCla ssDefFoundError : DvdInventory
Exception in thread "main"
Process completed.

now how do i fix these two errors?

Out of interest, eh, where had you placed this import statement? What were the first, say, five lines of the code that gave that error?
Nov 29 '07 #7
Kiamari
17 New Member
I don't know about 'or something' but your code is definitely not right; if the compiler
can't find the Scanner class you either have an old version of Java (older than 1.5)
of you have an installation problem. The other error is just because you wanted
to run a class that didn't even properly compile. You should check your Java
version and if needed upgrade and try again.

kind regards,

Jos
its definitely not my java version or installation. i have the latest version 6.0...and the other day i had a program to run perfect.... the problem is somewhere in my code and i just cant figure it out...so i came here in hopes that someone could point me in the right direction or tell me what i have to remove for the code to work.....but it seems everything someone says to remove...anothe r error happens......i thought that providing my code someone could see where i have a few things misplaced or tell me if im missing something....si nce my code is "definitely not right"..i thought you knew what i had to do to make it "right"
Nov 30 '07 #8
Kiamari
17 New Member
Out of interest, eh, where had you placed this import statement? What were the first, say, five lines of the code that gave that error?

sorry, i dont know what you are asking. after running my code that's the error i get.....for my full code take a look at the previous posts.
Nov 30 '07 #9
r035198x
13,262 MVP
sorry, i dont know what you are asking. after running my code that's the error i get.....for my full code take a look at the previous posts.
There are some characters/words in your .java file that are not part of the code that you want to execute. e.g the line with DVD CLASS.
That is not part of the code and must be removed or commented out. The compiler should see only valid Java statements.
Nov 30 '07 #10

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.