473,320 Members | 1,870 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,320 software developers and data experts.

Changing Database Setup Mid-Stream

I am using MS-Access 2003 with a split database on our server. I have the front-end in one folder and the back-end in another. I have the users using a shortcut to the front-end. Of course this restricts what I can do as far as development during the day while the users are online.

Can I implement the scenario where I put the forms/rpts/queries/etc on each user's local drive and point to the backend at this point? How would I accomplish this and keep the setup with the Jet Engine interface? I realize this was a major miss during my design.
Dec 6 '07 #1
2 1473
Jim Doherty
897 Expert 512MB
I am using MS-Access 2003 with a split database on our server. I have the front-end in one folder and the back-end in another. I have the users using a shortcut to the front-end. Of course this restricts what I can do as far as development during the day while the users are online.

Can I implement the scenario where I put the forms/rpts/queries/etc on each user's local drive and point to the backend at this point? How would I accomplish this and keep the setup with the Jet Engine interface? I realize this was a major miss during my design.

Yes you can, thats how it should have been setup. Just search on here for 'refresh links' you'll see plenty of references to this coming up.

The benefit of splitting being that each user has their own copy on their client machine. This allows you to continue developing on the frontend (your copy) without effecting anyone else. You then distribute the frontend to the users (logon scipt or whatever means suits you)

The connection to the backend database should be to a common share with all users having the same mapped drive letter and the frontend file placed also in a folder of a common name on each client so that any 'shortcut' you might want to use has a standard appearance and feel to it. Look at 'command line switches' in access and the use of %profile% within that if your frontend file is to sit in the users profile

I'm not so sure what you specifically had in mind by the 'Jet Engine interface' except suffice it to say that any frontend file runs under the usual retail installation version of Access on the client.

Regards

Jim :)
Dec 6 '07 #2
missinglinq
3,532 Expert 2GB
As Jim said, this is how a multi-user app should have been set up to begin with! Multi-users on a shared frontend is one of the most commonly sited reasons for corruption.

Welcome to TheScripts!

Linq ;0)>
Dec 6 '07 #3

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: lkrubner | last post by:
I have a webserver through Rackspace. I create a domain. I create an FTP user. I upload some files. I create a database called testOfSetupScript and then I create a database user named setup. I...
by: Rebecca | last post by:
I have a large Access 97 database that's been split into a front and back end. We've used it successfully with several computers networked together, but now some of the people in my organization...
by: Zippy | last post by:
Some months ago, we requested help from this newsgroup on how to replace the library reference of a database with another library reference, prior to creating an MDE. I got the following answer...
by: magmike | last post by:
When users of my site submit articles to our database (http://www.netterweb.com/articles/) they almost always have http:// addresses within the text. They are pasting that text into a box which...
by: richard | last post by:
I have a licensed MS Office 97 package which I have moved from PC to PC over the years and I have just bought a new machine with XP Pro on it, the latest release. When I install Office, I get the...
by: Raphael Iloh | last post by:
Hi all, I have a Web Setup Project and would like to change the installation path from the default (i.e. C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\) to some more particular path (e.g. c:\myfolder\). Any ideas on this...
by: steve | last post by:
Hi All I need to change text in a Report Viewer document at runtime It is just the heading I want to change to match what the user has chosen as the Report to view How do I access the...
by: sparks | last post by:
We have a database with 152 variables. Now they want to change this and add 8 new variables they have them on seperate forms (thats ok) the variables are named Q1something thru Q152something...
by: Rshah | last post by:
Anybody know syntax of sage line 50 query? how can I write sage line50 database conidtion sql query? when i write this syntax, get error msg of column not found. 'SELECT c.stock_cat_name,...
nabh4u
by: nabh4u | last post by:
hi friends, i have a program where i have to sort a double linked list using merge sort. i am having problem with changing the pointers of the list, like the previous and the next pointers of a...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
ExcelToDatabase: batch import excel into database automatically...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: Vimpel783 | last post by:
Hello! Guys, I found this code on the Internet, but I need to modify it a little. It works well, the problem is this: Data is sent from only one cell, in this case B5, but it is necessary that data...
by: jfyes | last post by:
As a hardware engineer, after seeing that CEIWEI recently released a new tool for Modbus RTU Over TCP/UDP filtering and monitoring, I actively went to its official website to take a look. It turned...
by: ArrayDB | last post by:
The error message I've encountered is; ERROR:root:Error generating model response: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000000005140, which seems to be indicative of an access violation...
by: PapaRatzi | last post by:
Hello, I am teaching myself MS Access forms design and Visual Basic. I've created a table to capture a list of Top 30 singles and forms to capture new entries. The final step is a form (unbound)...
by: Shællîpôpï 09 | last post by:
If u are using a keypad phone, how do u turn on JavaScript, to access features like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram....
by: af34tf | last post by:
Hi Guys, I have a domain whose name is BytesLimited.com, and I want to sell it. Does anyone know about platforms that allow me to list my domain in auction for free. Thank you

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.