473,422 Members | 1,778 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,422 software developers and data experts.

Disabling Ctrl + G: VBA code showing...MS Access 2003

Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Hiya Fans!

By the time this afternoon ends I would have figured this out. I remember seeing a post or link somewhere about this (Googling thereafter)...

Can we disable control + g in Access 2003? I need to further hide the VBA code running. Looks like even though I set up a password so the code is not seen, or at least requires a password to be seen, Ctrl + G lets me see the code.

Got finger happy, hit keys, and found this out by accident just now.

Will post my finding if you hadn't seen this before then.

Super thanks, in a bit!

Dököll
Dec 12 '07 #1
13 10734
Rabbit
12,516 Expert Mod 8TB
Unchecking "Use Access Special Keys" under Tools>Startup will disable it for anyone who doesn't know about the Shift bypass. I think creating an mde from the file might do it though.
Dec 12 '07 #2
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Unchecking "Use Access Special Keys" under Tools>Startup will disable it for anyone who doesn't know about the Shift bypass. I think creating an mde from the file might do it though.
That's likely where I should be headed...Google lead me to Access keys, I agree these can be a start until then.

Any idea why I was not prompted to enter password when I hit Ctrl + G. Perhaps that too was overriden!

Thanks for your reply:-)
Dec 13 '07 #3
Rabbit
12,516 Expert Mod 8TB
Not a clue, seems like an oversight by microsoft.
Dec 13 '07 #4
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Not a clue, seems like an oversight by microsoft.
Well, here is my oversight...

I simply forgot to add the silly password back in. So Ctrl + G does nothing, I get a blank screen. Need to remember to lock it up after updating:-)

Still going with the idea of creating an MDE file, so nothing is modified.

Rabbit, I suppose we can close this thread.

Thanks for your input!
Dec 13 '07 #5
Rabbit
12,516 Expert Mod 8TB
Not a problem, good luck.
Dec 13 '07 #6
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Not a problem, good luck.
Here's something that came up. I did not want to add a new thread on it. In creating an MDE file, how does one archive data, or compact the database?

Just recently archived data and compacted. I may need to be archive again, say once it hits 10,000 + records. I am almost thinking it might be favourable to simply minimize access to certain functions and hope, like you said, noone figures out how to bypass keys. Do you agree?

This bit of info does not help figure out what to do in the case database again becomes massive: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.11).aspx

I certainly love the idea of an MDE, but if I cannot access the tables somehow to manage the data, it may become an issue.

I worry because the version I will use to further modify forms and so on will be old news and new data will not be included there. Do you suspect doing away with accessing certain functions, designs should be the route? It'd be cool either way, just looking at options...

Have a great week-end!

Dököll
Dec 14 '07 #7
Rabbit
12,516 Expert Mod 8TB
I don't use mde's much but I don't think it stops you from compacting or moving data around. You just can't change the design and code.
Dec 14 '07 #8
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Hey Gang!

I have an option for this but need your input to see about re-enabling right-click function in the case I need to Filter for information on Access form.

Becuase I have disabled Special keys, right-click is disabled...

What are your thoughts?

Have a great new year!!!
Dec 28 '07 #9
ADezii
8,834 Expert 8TB
Hiya Fans!

By the time this afternoon ends I would have figured this out. I remember seeing a post or link somewhere about this (Googling thereafter)...

Can we disable control + g in Access 2003? I need to further hide the VBA code running. Looks like even though I set up a password so the code is not seen, or at least requires a password to be seen, Ctrl + G lets me see the code.

Got finger happy, hit keys, and found this out by accident just now.

Will post my finding if you hadn't seen this before then.

Super thanks, in a bit!

Dököll
  1. Create a Macro and Name it AutoKeys.
  2. Set the Macro Name to ^G (CTRL+G).
  3. Set the Action Argument to Beep.
  4. Now, anytime the CTRL+G Key combination is used, the User will only hear a Beep and the Default action of opening the Immediate Window will not occur.
Dec 28 '07 #10
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
  1. Create a Macro and Name it AutoKeys.
  2. Set the Macro Name to ^G (CTRL+G).
  3. Set the Action Argument to Beep.
  4. Now, anytime the CTRL+G Key combination is used, the User will only hear a Beep and the Default action of opening the Immediate Window will not occur.
Will give that a whirl, sounds like it'll work, thanks!
Jan 9 '08 #11
ADezii
8,834 Expert 8TB
Will give that a whirl, sounds like it'll work, thanks!
You are quite welcome.
Jan 9 '08 #12
missinglinq
3,532 Expert 2GB
I believe, as Rabbit said, that the only thing an MDE does, besides the obvious of not allowing structural changes to objects (and anything in VBA that requires the form be in Design View to do is a structural change) is to cause an unhandled error to close the database!

Linq ;0)>
Jan 9 '08 #13
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Hey Guys!

Just reporting, after doing some snooping around!

In order to keep right-click function on, while modifying my Startup options, I must check "Allow Default Shorttcut Menus", if unchecked, right-click is disabled. All others should remain untouched.

Have a great week!

Dököll
Jan 14 '08 #14

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.