473,461 Members | 1,862 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Create Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Interfacing with Cisco Routers

I have a project to Interface Cisco Routers with python i.e. the program should display a list of IP addresses and then a list of commands...the user should be able to select the IP address and then the commands to run on the routers and then the script should return the result and run commands on routers.

What path should i follow to solve this problem. I am a beginner of Python but this project is a must do for me so guys please advsise
Dec 14 '07 #1
2 2852
oler1s
671 Expert 512MB
Your first question should be how you could possibly interface with a Cisco router through python. Forget python for a moment, and ask how would a person manually interface with the routers. Also ask if the routers have any provisions to be exposed to a program. Do they provide a small library that can be used to manipulate them or the like?
Dec 14 '07 #2
Sorry Oler, I was just confused and didn't think much before putting up the question. A person can manually interace with the router through serial port or can use Telnet the router by its IP address using the Ethernet port by another PC.

Can we access routers through any program and do the routers have some sort of library to manipulate them?

again sorry for not putting up the questions the right way :)
Dec 14 '07 #3

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: NewsReader | last post by:
Hello, I have been looking around the net for a script to help me connect to and help gather information from Cisco routers/switches. I have pieced together a couple of different scripts from...
usafshah
by: usafshah | last post by:
well i didn't find any section related to cisco routers. i think it will be more helpful for ppl like me if you included cisco routers section in this community also. Thanks
by: wcl152010 | last post by:
Hi, I have a general doubt here regarding of monitoring different model of CISCO Switches and Routers. I am new in SNMP, I tried to search for CISCO related mib file in the net and i got at...
terryble
by: terryble | last post by:
hy, We are deploying IPPhone cisco(R) On this phone proprietary code exist with XML too. After code modification, a can't find the final step for this service to work. I need to post the variable...
by: Shahjehan | last post by:
I have to configure Cisco Router and get their sh-run on my PC using python. Is this possible? Do cisco routers provide provision of accessing them through scripting?
by: deviao | last post by:
Hello all. I am just about to start learning Python as a friend reccomended it as a very useful and flexible language. I was just wondering if Python has the ability to connect to a Cisco...
sicarie
by: sicarie | last post by:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/051408-hacker-writes-rootkit-for-ciscos.html So the POC is out there and Cisco has acknowledged that it is real - is everyone keeping up to date with their...
by: SPJ | last post by:
Is it possible to run specific commands on cisco router using Python? I have to run command "show access-list" on few hundred cisco routers and get the dump into a file. Please let me know if it is...
by: abhi | last post by:
SAN JOSE, Calif. — Forget the switches and routers that built Cisco Systems into a giant, albeit somewhat boring, company at the core of the Internet. These days, the company is peddling e-mail...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new...
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and...
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.