473,395 Members | 1,652 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,395 software developers and data experts.

Telit GM862-GPS software.

hi everyone.. i am new here.. can everyone in the forum guide me along.. thanks..
i am currently doing a project on telit gm862-gps..
i have to use PYTHON to write a software program.
kindly anyone teach me or show me how to start off the program..
i need to get started off by writing a program of GPIO1 pin and a program on sending SMSes..
i would really appericate if anyone in the forum can show me or guide me how to write it..
THANK YOU..
Dec 19 '07 #1
11 13177
hi everyone.. i am new here.. can everyone in the forum guide me along.. thanks..
i am currently doing a project on telit gm862-gps..
i have to use PYTHON to write a software program.
kindly anyone teach me or show me how to start off the program..
i need to get started off by writing a program of GPIO1 pin and a program on sending SMSes..
i would really appericate if anyone in the forum can show me or guide me how to write it..
THANK YOU..
I have a LOT of experience in this area:

configure the GPIO pin 1 direction (input or output)
MDM.send('AT#GPIO=1,1\n',0) # pin 1 set high as output
zx = MDM.receive(5)
#now reset it so LED is off
MDM.send('AT#GPIO=1,2\n',0) #ask module for pin status
zx = MDM.recieve(5) # and capture the reply

Check that your hardware is correct - I strongly advise using opto-isolators for debug and hobby use, save a lof of components and hassles.

Please double check with the software user manual about GPIO1, i know it has a special function , or it can only work in one direction. Its a long time since I had to change any hardware with my hobby server...

If you simply want to signal a new SMS arrival by turning on an LED, then try::
(dont forget to configure the format to text and storage into SIM first)
MDM.send('AT+CMGL=ALL\n',0) #ask for a list of ALL sms
zx = MDM.recieve(5) # and capture the reply
zx.split(",") # break up the reply by commas
for zxlines in zx: # step through the split string
if (zxlines.find("UNREAD")!p -1): # if there are any new sms then
MDM.send("AT#GPIO=1,1,1\n",0) # set the pin high
ab= MDM.receive(5)
MOD.sleep(10) #wait a bit
MDM.send("AT#GPIO=1,0,1\n",0)
ab= MDM.receive(5)

Hope this helps.
Jan 5 '08 #2
bvdet
2,851 Expert Mod 2GB
I have a LOT of experience in this area:

configure the GPIO pin 1 direction (input or output)
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. MDM.send('AT#GPIO=1,1\n',0) # pin 1 set high as output
  2. zx = MDM.receive(5)
  3. #now reset it so LED is off
  4. MDM.send('AT#GPIO=1,2\n',0) #ask module for pin status
  5. zx = MDM.recieve(5)     # and capture the reply
Check that your hardware is correct - I strongly advise using opto-isolators for debug and hobby use, save a lof of components and hassles.

Please double check with the software user manual about GPIO1, i know it has a special function , or it can only work in one direction. Its a long time since I had to change any hardware with my hobby server...

If you simply want to signal a new SMS arrival by turning on an LED, then try::
(dont forget to configure the format to text and storage into SIM first)
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. MDM.send('AT+CMGL=ALL\n',0) #ask for a list of ALL sms
  2. zx = MDM.recieve(5)     # and capture the reply
  3. zx.split(",")   #  break up the reply by commas
  4. for zxlines in zx:  # step through the split string
  5.     if (zxlines.find("UNREAD")!p -1):  # if there are any new sms then
  6.         MDM.send("AT#GPIO=1,1,1\n",0) # set the pin high
  7.         ab= MDM.receive(5)
  8.         MOD.sleep(10)    #wait a bit
  9.         MDM.send("AT#GPIO=1,0,1\n",0)
  10.         ab= MDM.receive(5)
Hope this helps.
Thank you for sharing your experience. It would help even more if you would use code tags. See reply guidelines. Thanks!
Jan 6 '08 #3
Thank you for sharing your experience. It would help even more if you would use code tags. See reply guidelines. Thanks!
I see what you mean. That is a lot easier to read.
Jan 6 '08 #4
Hi, i have a php script hosted. I intend to upload a text file
www.happy-yes.com/gps.txt

How can i program GM862-GPS in python to constantly at an interval send gps data(long & lat) to update my text file?

This is so that i can retrieve the data from the text file and use it to display it on google map.

Thanks all.
Jan 21 '08 #5
Hi.

I'm assuming your Telit is going to send the data via GPRS rather than GSM? If GSM, you're going to need a modem listening for incomming calls from the GSM modem.

If GPRS, you will need the GPRS device to send data to the server in a particular manner.

Example 1: You could use linux with netcat in UDP listen mode (with static IP and port configured) which will allow your GPRS module to send data to the ip and port and "concat" it into a text file.

Example 2: You could configure your module to send a formatted hypertext statement directly to your PHP script and ask the script to translate the data and "concat" that to a text file. Only if your GM862 can formulate the data into an HTTP request.

I think Example 2 is what you really need. I have been doing some research into the GM862 as I'm looking at making a vehicle / personal tracker very much along the same lines as what you are doing. The unit uses python to configure the functionality, so I'm fairly sure you can take the raw data, create an http request and post it to the website, filling in the blanks with the data from the gps module.

Hope that helps!!
Feb 6 '08 #6
Hi all (:

So, i m new in this forum, and happy to joint it (;

I have a project with GM862-GPS, and i m trying to send and receive an SMS in this module, so for sending it works very fine, now i try to receive an SMS and display it in CMUX (Telit serial port), so i subdivise this into 2 things, upload a script displying for exemple : 'hello' in the module and try to send it and display it in the pc (CMUX), and the other one is receive sms and display it, so the first is works, but how to receive SMS not yet, so i konw that you have experience in this Mr (: can you explain me how to receive an SMS and storage it in module, to signale that i have an incomming SMS? ifyou have a script in python for this, i you will be great dear.

waiting for your answer

Thank you in advence
Nov 17 '08 #7
Hi all (:

So, i m new in this forum, and happy to joint it (;

I have a project with GM862-GPS, and i m trying to send and receive an SMS in this module, so for sending it works very fine, now i try to receive an SMS and display it in CMUX (Telit serial port), so i subdivise this into 2 things, upload a script displying for exemple : 'hello' in the module and try to send it and display it in the pc (CMUX), and the other one is receive sms and display it, so the first is works, but how to receive SMS not yet, so i konw that you have experience in this Mr (: can you explain me how to receive an SMS and storage it in module, to signale that i have an incomming SMS? ifyou have a script in python for this, i you will be great dear.

waiting for your answer

Thank you in advence
Nov 18 '08 #8
hello remessas

i have a script to send sms that don't work so fine...
could you post your?
thanks
Tim
Jan 9 '09 #9
Hi evevryone :)
I hope someone gonna help me. I developing a small projeck with GM-862 GPS. And at the moment i have a problem - dont know how to set GPIO for send text mesage for number i want.
Example - i want to set GPIO12 (if its high send SMS to number =44xxxxxxxx, if its low - dont do anything)
Can someone give me a hint?
Jun 1 '09 #10
YarrOfDoom
1,247 Expert 1GB
Hi dzigitka, welcome to bytes!
Could you please make a new thread when you have a problem, because it's hard to keep order around this place if everyone just uses old threads for new questions.
Please read the posting guidelines to avoid further accidental violation of them.

Now about your question: here's a page with a lot of resources about the Telit GM862-GPS. You can probably find a solution in the AT Commands Reference Guide.
Jun 1 '09 #11
mmmmmm
Hi,

I have some problems communicating with the a Telit Ge864-QUAD module.
I am using a USB to CMOS cable (3 wires) and I have connected them to RX, TX, GND of the module. I opened a terminal app on my laptop (115200/8/N/1), sending AT commands, but I am not getting any response.

Has anyone done such thing and can provide some information?

Thank you.
May 10 '10 #12

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.