473,386 Members | 1,796 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,386 software developers and data experts.

rejected table name in add column quary

when i use this quary to add new column, the engine reject the table name and focus on (-) in the table name

alter table AH10-A1*1*1-101006 add column sss

note: this schema of table name (AH10-A1*1*1-101006 ) is applied on 500 table so it is defficult to change the tables name
Dec 24 '07 #1
4 1915
missinglinq
3,532 Expert 2GB
How exactly does it "reject the table name?" While having asterisks may cause problems in SQL (they have special meaning) I see what I think is another problem.

SQL is not my forte, but to add a column to an existing table, the ALTER TABLE syntax should be:

ALTER TABLE TableName
ADD ColumnName ColumnDefinition;

For example:
ALTER TABLE YourTableName
ADD YourNewFieldName text(150);

You have

alter table AH10-A1*1*1-101006 add column sss

I'm guessing that you're not trying to add a column named column, but rather one named sss, and that you don't have a ColumnDefinition (Datatype/field size) at all.
Linq ;0)>
Dec 25 '07 #2

try to download this attachment
Dec 25 '07 #3
nico5038
3,080 Expert 2GB
Please post the SQL text.

Nic;o)
Dec 25 '07 #4
missinglinq
3,532 Expert 2GB
Two points, Ahmed:

You posted this problem yesterday and then posted a second thread on it today! Double-posting is strictly prohibited on this site; please refrain from doing so in the future. I've now merged the two threads.

There was no attachement with your last post. It’s a rather convoluted process here, I'm afraid, but BartonC posted a concise explanation:

"In order to attach large source files to your contributions, you need to create a post, submit it and then edit it. You'll have 5 minutes to scroll down to the bottom of the > Edit Post page and click "Manage Attachments". The file must already have an acceptable extension . The Manage Attachments page will open giving a "Browse" button to find the file on your computer with. Don't forget to hit the "Upload" button after selecting the file. "

Linq ;0)>
Dec 25 '07 #5

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: cotton_gear | last post by:
Hello, Fiest of all let me thank this group for so quick in responding to any postings. I am using a javascript based utility from a site to sort the columns of the table. But, for some strange...
by: maricel | last post by:
I have the following base table structure - DDL: CREATE TABLE "ADMINISTRATOR"."T1" ( "C1" INTEGER NOT NULL ) IN "TEST_TS" ; ALTER TABLE "ADMINISTRATOR"."T1" ADD PRIMARY KEY
by: Fan Ruo Xin | last post by:
I try to copy a table from production system (DB2 UDB EEE V7.2 + fixpak5) to the testing system (DB2 UDB V8.1 + fixpak4a). I moved the data from productions system by using the following steps:...
by: sparks | last post by:
1 need to copy the data in one table into another...but its from another database. tables are demographics and testdata database1 database2 demographics personid personid same...
by: slitvinov | last post by:
I am learning Relax NG. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to make a schema for a table. In my case I would like to make a table with any name of child elements (columns) but columns...
by: Serge Rielau | last post by:
Hi all, Following Ian's passionate postings on problems with ALTOBJ and the alter table wizard in the control center I'll try to explain how to use ALTOBJ with this thread. I'm not going to get...
by: rszebras | last post by:
I inherited a database (as a novice at Access) and need to modify it to make it more efficient, i.e., the assignment form needs to autopopulate with the client's name, address, phone number, etc.,...
Lokean
by: Lokean | last post by:
Sorry for this newbie question, this is not my realm of expertese. I have searched google, tried several applications that claim they can do this, such as Mapforce, which I found confusing, to...
by: jrod11 | last post by:
hi, I found a jquery html table sorting code i have implemented. I am trying to figure out how to edit how many colums there are, but every time i remove code that I think controls how many colums...
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.