473,387 Members | 1,441 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes and contribute your articles to a community of 473,387 developers and data experts.

Using "&" and "+" in WHERE Clause

NeoPa
32,556 Expert Mod 16PB
Intention :
To prepare a WHERE clause for multiple field selection, but to ignore any fields where the selection criteria are not set. ONLY WORKS WITH TEXT FIELD SELECTIONS.

Scenario :
You have a table (tblMember) containing information for various people.

Table Name=tblMember
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Field; Type; IndexInfo
  2. MemberID; AutoNumber; PK
  3. Surname; String
  4. Forenames; String
  5. ...
You have a form (frmMemberSearch) with two TextBox controls (txtSurname & txtForenames) for selecting records. You would like the user to be able to enter as much or as little information as they know. This may be full or partial items, where either or both fields are used. A command button (cmdSearch) triggers the code to prepare and start the search.
You are looking simply to prepare a WHERE clause to run a query, although the same string could be used as a filter to a report, form or subform if required.

Concept :
In string manipulation you can use either "&" or "+" to concatenate strings. The difference is that
STRING & Null == STRING
STRING + Null == Null
NB. Empty controls on a form will always return a Null value.

Usage :
The following code creates a string (strWhere) formatted with either or both of the fields - depending on what's been entered on the form.
The stub of the string is simply "(TRUE)" and any other parts are only added if the related TextBox field is NOT Null.
We do this by using "&" between the major elements but "+" within them.
  1. Private Sub cmdSearch_Click()
  2.   Dim strWhere As String, strSQL As String
  3. 'If nothing added then "(TRUE)" will allow all records.
  4. 'If either of the TextBox fields are Null then ...
  5. 'the whole line of code they are included on will resolve to Null.
  6.   strWhere = "(TRUE" & _
  7.              " AND ([Forenames] Like '*" + Me.txtForenames + "*')" & _
  8.              " AND ([Surname] Like '*" + Me.txtSurname + "*')" & _
  9.              ")"
  10.   'We add this into a SELECT query for the table...
  11.   strSQL = "SELECT * " & _
  12.            "FROM [tblMember] " & _
  13.            "WHERE " & strWhere
  14.   ...
  15. End Sub
As an illustration, copy the following code into the Immediate window of your debugger (Alt-F11 from Access then Ctrl-G) and notice the string that's printed is simply "(TRUE)". The whole middle line (between the two "&"s) has resolved to Null - and therefore disappeared from the resultant string.
  1. Debug.Print "(TRUE" & _
  2.              " AND ([Forenames] Like '*" + Null + "*')" & _
  3.              ")"
  4. (TRUE)
NB. This concept can also be used to vacate the whole WHERE clause of a SQL string if required. Be careful not to leave extraneous "AND"s in any resultant string though.
Jan 22 '08 #1
0 13669

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: ian justice | last post by:
Before i post actual code, as i need a speedyish reply. Can i first ask if anyone knows off the top of their head, if there is a likely obvious cause to the following problem. For the moment i've...
by: Michael Hill | last post by:
I have a general question about how people generally tend to deal with users data that they enter. As an example users enter double quotes in a text field surrounding a specific piece of text...
by: barney | last post by:
Hello, I' m using .NET System.Xml.XmlDOcument. When I do the following: XmlDocument xml = new XmlDocument(); xml.Load("blah"); .... xml.Save("blub"); I've got the problem that the following...
by: martin | last post by:
Hi, I would be extremly grateful for some help on producing an xml fragemt. The fragment that I wish to produce should look like this <Addresses> <Address>&qout;Somebody's Name&quot;...
by: Arne | last post by:
A lot of Firefox users I know, says they have problems with validation where the ampersand sign has to be written as &amp; to be valid. I don't have Firefox my self and don't wont to install it only...
by: divya | last post by:
Hi, I have a table tblbwday with 2 fields Name and Birthday.I have written this script for displaying evryday names of the people on that day. <% set objConn...
by: Ragnar | last post by:
Hi, 2 issues left with my tidy-work: 1) Tidy transforms a "&amp;" in the source-xml into a "&" in the tidied version. My XML-Importer cannot handle it 2) in a long <title>-string a wrap is...
by: Amith | last post by:
Here we are facing a problem which is when we pass a parameter to javascript putting '&' . Ex: &contact. In Japanese OS when we receive this parameter in the script '&' is converted to 'e'.So...
by: =?Utf-8?B?UmljaA==?= | last post by:
I need to build a sql string that looks like this: strSql = "Select * from tbl1 Where x In (123,456,789)" or strSql = "Select * from tbl1 Where x In (123,456,789,527,914)" The numbers...
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.