473,386 Members | 1,753 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,386 software developers and data experts.

Drop down Menu / Flash level issues

techtherapy
Hello everyone. Not sure if I should be posting in the html/css forum, the flash forum, or this one since the problem deals with all three!

So my issue is this: My company is updating a homepage on a site that uses mm_menu.js drop down menus and we have a flash object that will be sitting virtually underneath a few o these drop downs. Everything seems to work fine except in IE6 & 7 Where the drop down appears behind the flash! Obviously not where you want the links to end up!

So I researched and research and tried various different approaches. I played with the z-index of the two elements- trying to bring the drop down in front of the div the flash is in. Nothing. I also found posts that had this fix suggested: adding in the code <param name="wmode" value="transparent"> in the list of flash parameters and wmode="transparent" in the embed section. This also does nothing!

I've looked and looked and no solution presented itself so I humbly request the help of the fantastic users of this forum (I figure a little flattery doesn't hurt!).

The page I have issue with can be found here:
http://www.baby-energy.com/index-08.php

and the css (which looks like some monkey typed it) here:
http://baby-energy.com/style.css

as well as the js here:
http://baby-energy.com/mm_menu.js
and here:
http://baby-energy.com/loadmenus2.js

Anything, and I mean anything would be helpful! Thanks!
Jan 30 '08 #1
5 2445
acoder
16,027 Expert Mod 8TB
One possibility is what's known as iframe shimming. In IE, windowed controls such as select boxes appear above DHTML elements. Shim the iframe under the div and it will cover the windowed control.
Jan 31 '08 #2
One possibility is what's known as iframe shimming. In IE, windowed controls such as select boxes appear above DHTML elements. Shim the iframe under the div and it will cover the windowed control.

Thanks acoder! This really helped- it didn't end up being the solution but trying this technique showed me what I was doing wrong. I appreciate the help!
Feb 5 '08 #3
acoder
16,027 Expert Mod 8TB
Glad it helped. So what was the solution in this case?
Feb 5 '08 #4
Glad it helped. So what was the solution in this case?
Well I originally placed the flash in a div element so that I can control the z-index- when this didn't work and I attempted placing it in an iframe to attempt the shim like you suggested, I discovered that the original flash code fix (using the wmode="transparent") worked once it was outside of the div. So with some simple floats to move the animation into the right position all was good in the world.
Feb 5 '08 #5
acoder
16,027 Expert Mod 8TB
Thanks. That should prove useful to members searching for this issue or even someone dropping by.
Feb 6 '08 #6

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Haines Brown | last post by:
I've implemented the horizontal drop down menu discussed recently in this newsgroup, and it works nicely under Galeon and Mozilla, but not IE 5.0. Here are the problems: Under IE 5.0, the...
by: Yuk Cheng | last post by:
<<<start index.htm>>> <html> <head> <script> function perform(action){ } </script> </head>
by: dsmasters | last post by:
Hey there, I have been piecing this menu system together from a couple of different sources and can almost see the end the of the tunnel. This is based on the Suckerfish Dropdowns which then...
by: TycoonUK | last post by:
Hi, As I do not have IE7 on my computer, I was wondering if there is a fault in my CSS Menu when using IE7. Please can someone look at my site - http://www.worldofmonopoly.co.uk and tell me...
by: Czechfish | last post by:
My files are located here: HTML & SWF FLA I am trying to create a multi-tier drop down menu, but I can't get it to work. Maintime line, frame 1 - loads a mc. When you rollover the mc, this...
by: Archanak | last post by:
Hi, I am using 2-level CSS Drop Down Menu in my perl/CGI program. here is the code. #!c:/perl/bin/perl.exe use CGI qw(:standard);
by: mjohnson0321 | last post by:
I am trying to incorporate a CSS drop-down menu into a site (suckerfish menu). The menu gets lost behind the content below it, but only on one of the drop downs (News). The error occurs on all of...
by: Jake Barnes | last post by:
I've been asked to help out with the navigation bar on this page: http://www.thesecondroad.org/ The drop down menu (which is pure CSS, save for a fix for IE) appears behind the Flash module....
techtherapy
by: techtherapy | last post by:
Hello everyone. Not sure if I should be posting in the javascript forum, the flash forum, or this one since the problem deals with all three! So my issue is this: My company is updating a...
by: mmurphmsu | last post by:
I have created my flash menu, complete with drop down boxes. Published the file so that i can get the html code. But when i try to get the drop downs to work, you can see them. So i make the...
by: taylorcarr | last post by:
A Canon printer is a smart device known for being advanced, efficient, and reliable. It is designed for home, office, and hybrid workspace use and can also be used for a variety of purposes. However,...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: aa123db | last post by:
Variable and constants Use var or let for variables and const fror constants. Var foo ='bar'; Let foo ='bar';const baz ='bar'; Functions function $name$ ($parameters$) { } ...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.