473,545 Members | 1,351 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Batch Printing Reports

Missionary
30 New Member
I need to batch print reports. I've looked at past posts about batch printing, but I don't know visual basic, so I'll need some coaching.

I have a report based on a parameter query. I have it set to take the parameter value from a form that I use to preview and print reports.
I have to repeatedly print that report using a different value each time. I want to set it up to batch print, taking the values from a list in a table.

Thanks for your time
Feb 20 '08 #1
22 8929
jaxjagfan
254 Recognized Expert Contributor
I need to batch print reports. I've looked at past posts about batch printing, but I don't know visual basic, so I'll need some coaching.

I have a report based on a parameter query. I have it set to take the parameter value from a form that I use to preview and print reports.
I have to repeatedly print that report using a different value each time. I want to set it up to batch print, taking the values from a list in a table.

Thanks for your time
Easiest way if you're not familiar with VBA

Change the report datasource so that the parameter is table driven, link to the paramater table, create a group for the parameter and have the report do a page break on the parameter group.

The parameter table could have a yes/no field that you could use to toggle the parameter on and off.
Feb 20 '08 #2
Missionary
30 New Member
Easiest way if you're not familiar with VBA

Change the report datasource so that the parameter is table driven, link to the paramater table, create a group for the parameter and have the report do a page break on the parameter group.

The parameter table could have a yes/no field that you could use to toggle the parameter on and off.
That is basically how I had it before. But I ran into a problem with the headers and footers. For each report (or group) I have a report header that goes above the page header on the first page. How can I make the group header come above the page header?

Also, I want the page numbers in the page footer to restart with each group. I found how to do that on this site:
http://www.mvps.org/access/reports/rpt0013.htm
and I followed the directions, but it didn't work. Perhaps my settings on the controls were wrong. I'm not sure what he's talking about when he says "control name of the group" And what type of control should ctlGrpPages be? should it be unbound? etc.

So that's where I got held up and thought that batch printing might be easier. Any help would be apreciated.

I'm not afraid of VBA, I'm just brand new at it and need some coaching.

Thanks alot!
Feb 21 '08 #3
mshmyob
904 Recognized Expert Contributor
Hello Missionary,

Group headers CANNOT come above Page Headers.

That is basically how I had it before. But I ran into a problem with the headers and footers. For each report (or group) I have a report header that goes above the page header on the first page. How can I make the group header come above the page header?

Also, I want the page numbers in the page footer to restart with each group. I found how to do that on this site:
and I followed the directions, but it didn't work. Perhaps my settings on the controls were wrong. I'm not sure what he's talking about when he says "control name of the group" And what type of control should ctlGrpPages be? should it be unbound? etc.

So that's where I got held up and thought that batch printing might be easier. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks alot!
Feb 21 '08 #4
Missionary
30 New Member
Hello Missionary,
Group headers CANNOT come above Page Headers.
Thanks, mshmyob; that's what I figgured. What I could do is put the "Report Heading" in the Page Header, then just turn it on and off depending on the page number. Following is the Code I mentioned for the Page numbering that I got from

I added in some lines to make the ctlText visible or invisible.
Now, I could never get the page numbers to work in the first place, so this is deffinately a stab in the dark.
Where did I go wrong in the code?
Pls keep in mind that this is my first venture into VBA and I don't know the lingo.

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Option Compare Database
  3. '************ Code Start *************
  4. ' This code was originally written by James H Brooks.
  5. ' It is not to be altered or distributed,
  6. ' except as part of an application.
  7. ' You are free to use it in any application,
  8. ' provided the copyright notice is left unchanged.
  9. '
  10. ' Code Courtesy of
  11. ' James H Brooks
  12. '
  13. Option Explicit
  15. Dim GrpArrayPage(), GrpArrayPages()
  16. Dim GrpNameCurrent As Variant, GrpNamePrevious As Variant
  17. Dim GrpPage As Integer, GrpPages As Integer
  19. Private Sub PageFooterSection_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer)
  20. Dim i As Integer
  21.   If Me.Pages = 0 Then
  22.     ReDim Preserve GrpArrayPage(Me.Page + 1)
  23.     ReDim Preserve GrpArrayPages(Me.Page + 1)
  24.     GrpNameCurrent = Me!ctlWard
  25.     If GrpNameCurrent = GrpNamePrevious Then
  26.         Me!ctlText.Visible = False     'Turn off the "Heading"
  27.         GrpArrayPage(Me.Page) = GrpArrayPage(Me.Page - 1) + 1
  28.         GrpPages = GrpArrayPage(Me.Page)
  29.             For i = Me.Page - ((GrpPages) - 1) To Me.Page
  30.                 GrpArrayPages(i) = GrpPages
  31.             Next i
  32.     Else
  33.         Me!ctlText.Visible = True   'Turn on the "Heading"
  34.         GrpPage = 1
  35.         GrpArrayPage(Me.Page) = GrpPage
  36.         GrpArrayPages(Me.Page) = GrpPage
  37.     End If
  38.   Else
  39.     Me!ctlGrpPages = "Page " & GrpArrayPage(Me.Page) & " of " & GrpArrayPages(Me.Page)
  40.   End If
  41.   GrpNamePrevious = GrpNameCurrent
  42. End Sub
  43. '************ Code End *************
I have a textbox called ctlWard in the Group Header that shows the Group value.
I have an unbound textbox called ctlGrpPages that is supposed to show the page number In the page footer. Whenever I preview the Report, ctlGrpPages just shows up empty. Also, ctlText doesn't disapear.

Sorry this question is so long. I think I may be getting ahead of myself, but I'm hoping it will work.
Feb 21 '08 #5
jaxjagfan
254 Recognized Expert Contributor

Thanks alot!
In your case I sometimes drop the report and page header/footer and use group header/footer. I even create a "dummy" column to group on in some cases to allow for a bit of creativity in the report layout.

With that being said heres some VBA. I have a table which lists all my reports by their Access name, Descriptive name, description - lstReports. I have a "Parameter" table - data in lstParam.

You can customize to loop thru and print each seperately.

1. Private Sub cmdGenReport_Click()
  3. If Me.lstParams.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then
  4. DoCmd.OpenReport Me.lstReports.Column(0), acViewPreview
  5. Else
  6. Call ParamList
  7. DoCmd.OpenReport Me.lstReports.Column(0), acViewPreview, , strFilter
  8. End If
  9. strFilter = ""
  10. Me.lstParams.Requery
  12. End Sub
  1. Public Function ParamList()
  3. Dim ctl As Control, varParam As Variant
  4. Set ctl = Me.lstParams
  5. For Each varParam In ctl.ItemsSelected
  6.     If strFilter = "" Then
  7.     strFilter = "ParamField = " & "'" & ctl.ItemData(varParam) & "'"
  8.     Else: strFilter = strFilter & " Or " & "ParamField = " & "'" & ctl.ItemData(varParam) & "'"
  9.     End If
  10. Next varParam
  12. End Function
Feb 21 '08 #6
NeoPa
32,563 Recognized Expert Moderator MVP
You say that you have a report which is driven by a control on your form.
How about some code on your form which loops through all the items you need reports for, and, for each iteration through the loop, sets the control to the current value then opens the report. When the loop is finished all your reports should have printed off.

NB. This will not work well for viewing the results in PrintPreview mode, as each subsequent call would replace the data from the previous one.
Feb 21 '08 #7
Missionary
30 New Member
That sounds good NeoPa, but I'm still struggling with the code.

Jaxjagfan, your post went a bit over my head. Could you explain in more basic terms. Where do I paste this code? What parts of the code do I need to change to my own table/field names, etc.

Thank you all for your help.
Feb 22 '08 #8
NeoPa
32,563 Recognized Expert Moderator MVP
That sounds good NeoPa, but I'm still struggling with the code.
That's fine Missionary.
Put together what you can and we can fill in the gaps. We don't (shouldn't) just provide solutions, as that doesn't help you to develop your skills or understanding.
Feb 22 '08 #9
Missionary
30 New Member
That's fine Missionary.
Put together what you can and we can fill in the gaps. We don't (shouldn't) just provide solutions, as that doesn't help you to develop your skills or understanding.
I didn't get to work on this very long as I'm going out of town this weekend, but here is what I've got so far:
I have a form with a comboBox called Wards that the query looks at to find the what records to show in the report.

Here's the code:
  1. Private Sub cmdPrintAll_Click()
  2.   If Me.Wards.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then
  3.   'What is "ItemsSelected"?  It didn't recognise that
  4.     DoCmd.OpenReport rptRetentionReport, acViewNormal
  5.     'I don't know what this If statement is for.  Perhaps to print the first one?
  6.   Else
  7.     Call ParamList
  8.     DoCmd.OpenReport rptRetentionReport, acViewNormal, , strFilter
  9.     'This prints on condition
  10.   End If
  11.   strFilter = ""
  12.   'This is the condition.  I Don't understand what this says
  13.   Me.Wards.Requery
  14.   'I think this refreshes the form, but not sure
  15. End Sub
  17. Public Function ParamList()
  18.   Dim ctl As Control, varParam As Variant
  19.   Set ctl = Me.Wards
  20.   For Each varParam In ctl.ItemsSelected
  21.   'again, it didn't like "ItemsSelected"
  22.     If strFilter = "" Then
  23.       strFilter = "ParamField = " & "'" & ctl.ItemData(varParam) & "'"
  24.     Else
  25.       strFilter = strFilter & " Or " & "ParamField = " & "'" & ctl.ItemData(varParam) & "'"
  26.     End If
  27.   Next varParam
  28. End Function
Feb 23 '08 #10

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.