473,320 Members | 2,180 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,320 software developers and data experts.

Why should we avoid tables for layout?

hsriat
1,654 Expert 1GB
Why should we avoid tables for layout?
Feb 23 '08 #1
4 1904
drhowarddrfine
7,435 Expert 4TB
Tables were never created to be used as layout elements.
Tables are slower to load.
Tables are not as flexible as using CSS.
Tables are pre-laid out grids which cannot be changed (cells cannot be moved).
You cannot carry over content from one cell to the next without added effort.

The guy who created the technique says "The web is ruined and I ruined it" by creating this method.
Tables for layout is stupid.
(See the articles about those two statements under Howtos in the HTML/CSS section)
Feb 23 '08 #2
hsriat
1,654 Expert 1GB
Tables were never created to be used as layout elements.
Tables are slower to load.
Tables are not as flexible as using CSS.
Tables are pre-laid out grids which cannot be changed (cells cannot be moved).
You cannot carry over content from one cell to the next without added effort.

The guy who created the technique says "The web is ruined and I ruined it" by creating this method.
Tables for layout is stupid.
(See the articles about those two statements under Howtos in the HTML/CSS section)
Thanks...

But unfortunately I have used tables for layout, as I was not aware of this. I would take too much effort to remove them. But I'll try. :(

Thanks again!
Feb 23 '08 #3
harshmaul
490 Expert 256MB
That has to be the quote of MY day! who said it?
Feb 23 '08 #4
drhowarddrfine
7,435 Expert 4TB
Siegel (forgot his first name). Look for the article under Howtos at the top in the html/css section.
Feb 24 '08 #5

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.

Similar topics

by: Mariusz Jedrzejewski | last post by:
Hi, I'll be very grateful if somebody can explain me why my Opera 7.23 (runing under linux) doesn't show me inner tables. Using below code I can see only "inner table 1". There is no problem with...
by: Millissa | last post by:
If someone can help me with examples of or info on how to create an advanced tables for the layout on my site, I would be very grateful! Thanks, M
by: Michael Rozdoba | last post by:
I'm far from a CSS expert, but what I see of it I really like & I love keeping content & style separate. I also hate the way table layout produces convoluted bulky code. However when asked why...
by: Alan Silver | last post by:
Hello, I understand the issue that tables should be used for tabular data and not for layout, but I would like some clarification as to exactly what constitutes tabular data. For example, if...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
The formulas of 101 quantitative trading alphas used by WorldQuant were presented in the paper 101 Formulaic Alphas. However, some formulas are complex, leading to challenges in calculation. Take...
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: Vimpel783 | last post by:
Hello! Guys, I found this code on the Internet, but I need to modify it a little. It works well, the problem is this: Data is sent from only one cell, in this case B5, but it is necessary that data...
by: ArrayDB | last post by:
The error message I've encountered is; ERROR:root:Error generating model response: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000000005140, which seems to be indicative of an access violation...
by: PapaRatzi | last post by:
Hello, I am teaching myself MS Access forms design and Visual Basic. I've created a table to capture a list of Top 30 singles and forms to capture new entries. The final step is a form (unbound)...
by: CloudSolutions | last post by:
Introduction: For many beginners and individual users, requiring a credit card and email registration may pose a barrier when starting to use cloud servers. However, some cloud server providers now...
by: Defcon1945 | last post by:
I'm trying to learn Python using Pycharm but import shutil doesn't work
by: Shællîpôpï 09 | last post by:
If u are using a keypad phone, how do u turn on JavaScript, to access features like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram....

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.