473,440 Members | 1,643 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,440 software developers and data experts.

Searching a folder for certain files

Hello, is there a way to search a folder for certain files containing a wildcard or certain text entered into a text box. Right now all i can get is the whole list of files from a folder using the following code:

lstbox.additems.addrange(IO.directory.getfiles("c: \"))

How can i just return only files with matching text as whats in the text Box. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
Feb 26 '08 #1
15 2414
Dököll
2,364 Expert 2GB
Hello, is there a way to search a folder for certain files containing a wildcard or certain text entered into a text box. Right now all i can get is the whole list of files from a folder using the following code:

lstbox.additems.addrange(IO.directory.getfiles("c: \"))

How can i just return only files with matching text as whats in the text Box. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
Hello spazzo6281!

Here is what I pulled up at microsoft:

Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Dim MyFile, MyPath, MyName
  2. ' Returns "WIN.INI"  if it exists.
  3. MyFile = Dir("C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI")   
  5. ' Returns filename with specified extension. If more than one *.ini
  6. ' file exists, the first file found is returned.
  7. MyFile = Dir("C:\WINDOWS\*.INI")
  9. ' Call Dir again without arguments to return the next *.INI file in the 
  10. ' same directory.
  11. MyFile = Dir
  13. ' Return first *.TXT file with a set hidden attribute.
  14. MyFile = Dir("*.TXT", vbHidden)
  16. ' Display the names in C:\ that represent directories.
  17. MyPath = "c:\"   ' Set the path.
  18. MyName = Dir(MyPath, vbDirectory)   ' Retrieve the first entry.
  19. Do While MyName <> ""   ' Start the loop.
  20.    ' Ignore the current directory and the encompassing directory.
  21.    If MyName <> "." And MyName <> ".." Then
  22.       ' Use bitwise comparison to make sure MyName is a directory.
  23.       If (GetAttr(MyPath & MyName) And vbDirectory) = vbDirectory Then
  24.          Debug.Print MyName   ' Display entry only if it
  25.       End If   ' it represents a directory.
  26.    End If
  27.    MyName = Dir   ' Get next entry.
  28. Loop
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa262726.aspx

Try it, see if that works for ya;-)

In a bit!
Feb 26 '08 #2
That didn't work, I'm just going to have to keep looking. Thanks for the help though.
Feb 27 '08 #3
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
See here. The getfiles() method supports searching for files matching a wildcard specification.
Feb 27 '08 #4
basti42
you can try this

dirs = Directory.GetFiles("C:\\folders", "*" + txtSeek.Text + "*" + ".csv");
foreach (string dir in dirs)
{
listBox1.Items.Add(dir.Substring(34));
strFound = dir;
Directory.CreateDirectory("C:\\save_to);
File.Copy(strFound, "C:\\save_to\\, true);
}
Feb 27 '08 #5
I was finally able to get most of the code figured out with the following:

Dim find As String = txtSearch.Text

For Each foundfile As String In My.Computer.FileSystem.GetFiles("t:\documents", FileIO.SearchOption.SearchAllSubDirectories, find + "*.pdf", find + "*.doc")
lstBox.Items.Add(foundfile)
Next

it works to find files that start with a given letter or the given first work but i won't find items if the word is second or third in the file name. if anyone can help me figure out how to do that I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for that that helped on my first post.
Mar 11 '08 #6
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
Just concatenate another "*" before find.
Mar 11 '08 #7
Just concatenate another "*" before find.
Thanks, that worked.
Mar 11 '08 #8
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
Thanks, that worked.
Excellent! :)

Glad we could help.
Mar 11 '08 #9
Thanks to everyone that helped with this problem. Now that it's working all the found files come back like "t:\photos\*.jpg" does anybody out there know of a way to remove "t:\photos\" and still have the "process.start(lstbox.text)" function work. I've tried everything that i could think of, and I guess I don't even know if it's possible. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Mar 12 '08 #10
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
This one should be relatively simple. Just have a look at the different properties available from the File object. I believe you'll find that one provides the name without the path. At present you're just using the default property, which apparently must be the full path.
Mar 13 '08 #11
This one should be relatively simple. Just have a look at the different properties available from the File object. I believe you'll find that one provides the name without the path. At present you're just using the default property, which apparently must be the full path.
I've looked and tried everything i could think of and it still doesn't work. I can use the trimstart feature but then the "process.start(lstbox.text)" doesn't work. I'm currently using "lstbox.items.addrange(IO.directory.getfiles("t:\p hotos"))" to get the list of files but i still can't get path to know show up and have process.start still work. Thanks for trying.
Mar 20 '08 #12
I've looked and tried everything i could think of and it still doesn't work. I can use the trimstart feature but then the "process.start(lstbox.text)" doesn't work. I'm currently using "lstbox.items.addrange(IO.directory.getfiles("t:\p hotos"))" to get the list of files but i still can't get path to know show up and have process.start still work. Thanks for trying.
The path to not show up. sorry for the miss type.
Mar 20 '08 #13
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
How about using the FileSystem.GetDirectories method to return the collection of directory names. Then for each of those, do a FileSystem.GetFiles and concatenate the directory name at the start of each returned filename.
Mar 20 '08 #14
How about using the FileSystem.GetDirectories method to return the collection of directory names. Then for each of those, do a FileSystem.GetFiles and concatenate the directory name at the start of each returned filename.
The program is finally doing what i wanted it to do. The concat method really helped. Thanks to everyone that helped me with my problems.
Mar 23 '08 #15
Killer42
8,435 Expert 8TB
Glad we could help out. :)
Mar 25 '08 #16

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.