+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Excel to SQL Server

I have an Excel worksheet with 4 columns:
F1 F2 F3 AutoNo
A Y C 1
G C D 2
S W A 3
I have a table in SQL Server 2000 which corresponds to the above worksheet.
What's the best way to update columns F1, F2, F3 in the table using the
AutoNo from both the table and worksheet?

Thanks for any replies using ADO/VB/SQL and not DTS.

Jul 20 '05 #1
3 12921
Hi

I would expect either the autonumber in the spreadsheet or the autonumber in
the database to be the master, otherwise you will probably end up with
miss-matching records.

If you use a liked server you can update/query both. If the SQL Server table
has an identity that you want to force, then SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON.

John

"TZoner" <tz****@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3f***********************@news.optusnet.com.a u...
F1 F2 F3 AutoNo
A Y C 1
G C D 2
S W A 3
I have a table in SQL Server 2000 which corresponds to the above worksheet. What's the best way to update columns F1, F2, F3 in the table using the

Jul 20 '05 #2
John

Real issue I have is how do I get data from Excel into SQL the fasted
possible way?

Thanks for your previous reply!

"John Bell" <jb************@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3f***********************@reading.news.pipex. net...
Hi

I would expect either the autonumber in the spreadsheet or the autonumber in the database to be the master, otherwise you will probably end up with
miss-matching records.

If you use a liked server you can update/query both. If the SQL Server table has an identity that you want to force, then SET IDENTITY_INSERT ON.

John

F1 F2 F3 AutoNo
A Y C 1
G C D 2
S W A 3
I have a table in SQL Server 2000 which corresponds to the above

worksheet.
What's the best way to update columns F1, F2, F3 in the table using the

Jul 20 '05 #3
I concur, a linked server gets your data in SQL fastest. From there you
just use SQL commands to join and update the tables.
EXEC sp_addlinkedserver 'ExcelSource',
'Jet 4.0',
'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
'c:\myexcelfile.xls',
NULL,
'Excel 5.0'
GO
SELECT * FROM ExcelSource...MyNamedRange
GO

If you are working with small tables that get dumped to Excel for an
employee to update (say prices) here is one way to make the update happen
immediately. It essentially binds the spreadsheet to the server table and
uses optomistic locking.

Matthew Martin

Dim con As ADODB.Connection

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
Set con = New ADODB.Connection
con.Provider = "sqloledb"
con.Properties("Data Source").Value = "MARIA" ' Your server name here
con.Properties("Initial Catalog").Value = "MyDB" ' your DB name here
con.Properties("Integrated Security").Value = "SSPI"
con.Open
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
' Ensure we have a row ID & column name
' AutoNum is in column 1, where primary keys should be.
If Target.Row > 1 _
And Worksheets(1).Cells(1, Target.Row).Text <> "" _
And Worksheets(1).Cells(Target.Column, 1).Text <> "" Then
If con Is Nothing Then
Worksheet_Activate
End If

con.Execute "UPDATE tblExportSQL " & _
"SET " & Worksheets(1).Cells(1, Target.Column).Text & " = '" & _
Target.Text & "' WHERE AutoNo = " & Worksheets(1).Cells(Target.Row,
1).Text

End If
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()
con.Close
Set con = Nothing
End Sub

F1 F2 F3 AutoNo
A Y C 1
G C D 2
S W A 3
I have a table in SQL Server 2000 which corresponds to the above worksheet. What's the best way to update columns F1, F2, F3 in the table using the

Jul 20 '05 #4

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Mike Knight | last post by:
(I've also posted this problem on microsoft.public.excel.programming) I have a MS Access 2003 Database named "AS400 Fields.mdb". This database contains links to tables on an AS400. In MS Excel 2003, I have VBA code that creates and executes queries using the Access database, and returns the results to an Excel sheet. The first time the...
by: hari krishna | last post by:
hi, I want to send the data from dataset information to Excel through ASP.Net. there will be no XL installed on web server. web server is win 2000 server machine. I am using visual basic code in asp.net. The Xl sheet should not be opened in the browser. All the information from dataset(datatable,datarows) should be sent to XL and the file...
by: DC Gringo | last post by:
Allison (or others), thank you for the advice...a few more questions: - I have tested on my workstation on Excel XP and my application references the Excel 10.0 Object Library. I was told the server has the "Office 2003" components which I'm assuming is OWC11. How do my imports, declarations or other code change to account for the...
by: hkappleorange | last post by:
I connect to mdb file using the following codes. How should I modify it if I want to connect to Excel instead ? <%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.OleDb" %> <% Dim conAuthors As OleDbConnection Dim cmdSelectAuthors As OleDbCommand Dim dtrAuthors As OleDbDataReader
by: Vanajakshi Pidatala | last post by:
Hello, I am trying to show data in dataset in to an excel sheet(ASP.NET/VB.NET). I AM DOING THIS ON SERVER(IIS SERVER) WHICH HAS EXCEL VERSION 9. I COULD ADD REFERENCE TO EXCEL VERSION 9 AND OFFICE VERSION 10 IN MY PROJECT. I DO NOT HAVE EXC EL VERSION 10 TO WHICH I CAN ADD REFERENCE (WHICH I THINK IS THE PROBLEM). i AM GETTING THE ERROR '...
by: Frank | last post by:
Hello All, I ham using VS.NET 2003. Have followed instructions from http://gridviewguy.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?articleID=26 along with several other articles to no avail. I am pulling my hair out at this point. What I have is this : Members.aspx file:
by: jostein67 | last post by:
I have moved an ASP application to a new Windows server. Need to export data to Excel. Worked fine before. Not so anymore. Case: - Exporting data from ASP to Excel 2000, using Office Web Components. - Installed and reinstalled Excel, also checking that MSOWC.DLL is in the right spot on my disk. - Old server Win 2000/IIS 5, new server...
roswara
by: roswara | last post by:
Dear all, Currently, I am working on a project to make a web-based application using ASP 2.0 and C#. This application will ask user to input for an excel file which has graphs in it. Then the application will grab the graph as image file, and this image will be displayed as thumbnail in the page. Is it possible to accomplish this feature? ...
by: TG | last post by:
hi! I am trying to create a sql server table from an excel sheet. Here is the code I have: 'This procedure the xlsx file and dumps it to a table in SQL Server
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in...
by: adsilva | last post by:
A Windows Forms form does not have the event Unload, like VB6. What one acts like?
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.