473,397 Members | 2,028 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,397 software developers and data experts.

Replace-type function for Text datatype

I have a table that has a Text datatype column that has gotten some
garbage
characters in it somehow, probably from key entry. I need to remove
the garbage, multiple occurances of char(15). The replace function
does not work on Text datatype. Any suggestions?
Jul 20 '05 #1
3 12337
Zack Sessions (zc********@visionair.com) writes:
garbage

One way would be to iterate over the table, and for each row get slices
of 8000 chars to a varchar value on which you run replace(). You would
then use updatetext to update the row. A bit tricky, because if first
got chars 1 to 8000, and removed 6 char(15), you should now start on
char 7994 for the next batch.

Not particularly funny, I know.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, so****@algonet.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinf...2000/books.asp
Jul 20 '05 #2
Hello:

You could write a small vbscript that would loop thru the table and
update the text columns using ado's appendchunk method and the replace
function in vbscript.

See link below on an example that you can adapt to vbscript and your
problem:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...les_vb01_8.asp

HTH,

BZ

zc********@visionair.com (Zack Sessions) wrote in message news:<db**************************@posting.google. com>...
garbage

Jul 20 '05 #3
Erland Sommarskog <so****@algonet.se> wrote in message news:<Xn**********************@127.0.0.1>...
Zack Sessions (zc********@visionair.com) writes:
garbage

One way would be to iterate over the table, and for each row get slices
of 8000 chars to a varchar value on which you run replace(). You would
then use updatetext to update the row. A bit tricky, because if first
got chars 1 to 8000, and removed 6 char(15), you should now start on
char 7994 for the next batch.

Not particularly funny, I know.

Thanks for your response.

I actually thought of trying to do it this way and started to write
the code, but I got stuck on how to get the 8000 character chunks. The
way I read the READTEXT description, it does not return the value into
a local variable. I know how to get the first 8000 characters into a
local varchar, but I haven't figured out how to get any remaining 8000
character chunks. Care to give me a little more help?
Jul 20 '05 #4

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Craig Keightley | last post by:
Can these lines of sql statements be consolidated into one sql statement (possibly using reg exps??) BEGIN CODE ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Update...
by: middletree | last post by:
What's wrong with this code? strLongDesc = Replace(Replace(Replace(Replace(Trim(Request.Form("LongDesc")),"'","''"),vbC rLf,"<br>"),"<",&lt;),"<",&gt;) Background: This field is a textarea, and I...
by: MFA | last post by:
Hi All Help required in replace string. a= "I am trying to replace a string from 1 point to another point which is point 2. But I dont know how ? " b = "This" Now from string a I want to...
by: GregMa | last post by:
Does anyone have a good regex expression to replace any invalid filename characters in a string? Those characters are: /, \, :, *, ?, ", <, >, | I have it right now with string.replace for each...
by: Etu | last post by:
Hi, I have a string: string c = "'abc' \"cde\", 'mno' \"xyz\","; how can I use the c.Replace(???, ???) method to have this string: "'abc' "cde", 'mno' "xyz"," that is, all the...
by: f pemberton | last post by:
I have a string (xdata) and theres a newline after every 17 characters of the string. I was wondering how I can replace multiple substrings multiple times within a string? To put it another way,...
by: Levidikus | last post by:
Normally, I never have any problems with String.Replace(). However, I found that I need to replace multiple instances of the character "ª" (\xAA) with a # symbol. The input file is a simple one...
by: NvrBst | last post by:
I want to use the .replace() method with the regular expression /^ %VAR % =,($|&)/. The following DOESN'T replace the "^default.aspx=,($|&)" regular expression with "":...
by: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSAiWU9fQkVFIiBC?= | last post by:
I have a text file that contains about 8 to 10 text sequences that I need to replace. I want to search and replace all 8 to 10 text sequence anytime I run this script Here is what I have so...
by: gjhames | last post by:
I wish to replace several characters in my string to only one. Example, "-", "." and "/" to nothing "" I did like that: my_string = my_string.replace("-", "").replace(".", "").replace("/",...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.