473,394 Members | 1,663 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,394 software developers and data experts.

Handling # (temp) table

Hi,

Handling # table is giving problem.
Does anybody have solution/suggestion for the below given problem.

Create a #TMPTAB table
------------------------
SELECT GETDATE() MYDATE INTO #TMPTAB

Select #TMPTAB Table
-----------------
SELECT NAME FROM TEMPDB..sysobjects where name ='#TMPTAB'
OR
SELECT NAME FROM sysobjects where name ='#TMPTAB'
-----------------------
It does not return the record.
(Because SQL Server create # table with an system generated unique ID
in Name like (#TMPTAB________________________________000000011F 8F))
---------------
But if I select it with Like clause:
SELECT NAME FROM TEMPDB..sysobjects where name ='#TMPTAB'
It return the name:
#TMPTAB________________________________000000011F8 F

When I drop the table it canbe drop with
DROP TABLE #TMPTAB

(EVEN IF I'M USING SOME OTHER DATA BASE 'XDATABASE')

NOW THE PROBLEM IS:
====================
IF I CHECK TABLE WITH LIKE CLAUSE IT WILL RETURN ME ALL # TABLE, WHICH
HAS BEEN CREATED IN TEMPDB.. DATABASE BY DIFFERENT USER/CLIENT).
IN A SCENERIO WHERE A PARTICULAR CONNECTION DOES NOT HAVE MADE ANY #
TABLE, BUT IT HAS MADE FROM SOME ANOTHER INSTANCE.

IF I SEARCH TABLE WITH LIKE CLAUSE (SELECT NAME FROM
TEMPDB..sysobjects where name ='#TMPTAB'), IT WILL RETURN TRUE AND
THEN AT THE TIME OF DROPPING TABLE IT WILL RETURN ERROR.

WHY THIS HAPPEN?

DOES ANYBODY HAVE SOME SOLUTION/SUGGETION ON IT.

THANKS IN ADV.
T.S.NEGI
ti********@mind-infotech.com
Jul 20 '05 #1
1 4583
Use OBJECT_ID to test for the existence of a temp table:

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#tmptab') IS NOT NULL

--
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
--
Jul 20 '05 #2

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Josh | last post by:
Hi, I am having a problem with Python. I am new to Python as a programming language, but I do have experience in other languages. I am experiencing strange problems with File handling and wonder...
by: Jim | last post by:
For some reason the compiler is telling me that I must declarethe variable @costcenter_tmp on lines 74 and 98...but if i put a select statement in ther (for testing) before the loop I get data back...
by: Robert McEuen | last post by:
Using Access 97 on WinXP I have data in a DB2 table that I'm trying to get into an identical table in my backend db. Based on volume of data and frequency of download, I'm trying to avoid...
by: serge | last post by:
I am running SQL Server Best Practices on a SQL 2000 database and it is recommending me to change the temp tables inside SPs to table variables. I had read already in other places to use table...
by: Kulgan | last post by:
Hi I am struggling to find definitive information on how IE 5.5, 6 and 7 handle character input (I am happy with the display of text). I have two main questions: 1. Does IE automaticall...
by: Burbletrack | last post by:
Hi All, Hope someone can help me... Im trying to highlight the advantages of using table variables as apposed to temp tables within single scope. My manager seems to believe that table...
by: itgendevelopment | last post by:
Hi there! Here is the scenario: I'm currently working on a project under Borland Visual C++ IDE. I have no issues on working with ADO and SQL. I can connect to the database, make queries,...
by: Chad | last post by:
On to top of page 163 in the book "The C Programming Langauge" by K & R, they have the following: char *strdup(char *s) { char *p; p=(char *)malloc(strlen(s)+1); if( p != NULL) strcpy(p,s):...
by: erbrose | last post by:
Hey friends i just wrote some code that finds a zip file in a folder, unzips it using system() call to winzip32.exe. the contents of zip is an oracle dmp file. I next use another system() call to...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.