473,432 Members | 1,414 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,432 software developers and data experts.

gcd method

I'm very new to Java and I was looking for some help on this particular problem.

I need to create a method that takes a String as a parameter and returns "true" if the parameter is the letter Y or the letter N (in either upper or lower case), or false otherwise.

Most of the methods we've been working on are numbers (integers mostly) not strings, so this one confuses me quite a bit. How do you make the computer look for a certain character like y, Y, n, N. I don't want to declare them as variables, I just want Java to see them as letters.

I have:
public static boolean isYorN(String str)
{
boolean character;
switch (character)
{
case 'y':
character = true;
return true;
break;

case 'Y':
character = true;
return true;
break;

case 'n':
character = true;
return true;
break;

case 'N':
character = true;
return true;
break;

default:
character = false;
return false;

}
}
}

I think a switch case is the best method, but I'm missing something about naming because all my compiling errors are telling me that I have incompatible types (i.e. found: boolean, required: int).

Thank you in advance for any help.
May 23 '07 #1
11 3237
sicarie
4,677 Expert Mod 4TB
I believe the errors are coming from the fact that you are using 'Y', 'y', 'N', and 'n' as the cases, when you tell the switch statement (swtich (character)) that it should expect a boolean - either a true or a false.

I would recommend using the .equals() function in the String class. That returns a boolean, so you can resolve it as being either true or false (use the fact that it will return as either true or false).

(And in future posts, please use [code ] and [/code ] around your code - only without the spaces at the end, it really helps with readability. Thanks!)
May 23 '07 #2
nomad
664 Expert 512MB
I believe the errors are coming from the fact that you are using 'Y', 'y', 'N', and 'n' as the cases, when you tell the switch statement (swtich (character)) that it should expect a boolean - either a true or a false.

I would recommend using the .equals() function in the String class. That returns a boolean, so you can resolve it as being either true or false (use the fact that it will return as either true or false).

(And in future posts, please use [code ] and [/code ] around your code - only without the spaces at the end, it really helps with readability. Thanks!)

Can PvtBillPilgrim use scanner and do this
if(kbd.equalsIgnoreCase("Y"));

then use the switch or if statement
May 23 '07 #3
I am a beginner programmer in Java. Just started learning the past few weeks.

I'm taking a class and need to create a method that finds the greatest common divisor of two integers. I can assume that both are positive, but I cannot use the Euclidean Algorithm.

I'm sort of lost, but I think I'm on the right track, although this may look confusing:
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. public static int gcd(int a, int c)
  2. {
  3. int gcd;
  4. int attempt;
  5. if (a > c)
  6. {
  7.  if (a % c == 0)
  8. {
  9. gcd = c;
  10. return gcd;
  11. }
  12. else
  13. {
  14. for (attempt = c; attempt = 1; attempt--)
  15. do
  16. {
  17. if (c % attempt == 0 && a % attempt == 0)
  18. {
  19. gcd = attempt;
  20. return attempt;
  21. }
  22. }
  23. while (c % attempt != 0 || a % attempt == 0);
  24. }
  25. }
And then I basically copied the code with an else statement if c > a.

I'm sure there are a lot of mistakes. Could someone just point them out and offer a simpler way of doing it (possibly without using the Euclidean Algorithm)?

Thanks.
Michael
May 24 '07 #4
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
Hint: for any two (positive) numbers a and c the gcd is the largest number in the
range [1 ... min(a, c) ]. Only a single for loop could do the job. There's no need
to duplicate code for a < c or c < a and there's also no need for two nested loops.

kind regards,

Jos
May 24 '07 #5
r035198x
13,262 8TB

....I think a switch case is the best method...
I'm afraid you're wrong there and that's where you missed it. Just an if else will do it.

big hint:
  1.  if(str.equalsIgnoreCase("y")) ....
May 24 '07 #6
rsrinivasan
221 100+
I am a beginner programmer in Java. Just started learning the past few weeks.

I'm taking a class and need to create a method that finds the greatest common divisor of two integers. I can assume that both are positive, but I cannot use the Euclidean Algorithm.

I'm sort of lost, but I think I'm on the right track, although this may look confusing:
  1. public static int gcd(int a, int c)
  2. {
  3. int gcd;
  4. int attempt;
  5. if (a > c)
  6. {
  7.  if (a % c == 0)
  8. {
  9. gcd = c;
  10. return gcd;
  11. }
  12. else
  13. {
  14. for (attempt = c; attempt = 1; attempt--)
  15. do
  16. {
  17. if (c % attempt == 0 && a % attempt == 0)
  18. {
  19. gcd = attempt;
  20. return attempt;
  21. }
  22. }
  23. while (c % attempt != 0 || a % attempt == 0);
  24. }
  25. }
And then I basically copied the code with an else statement if c > a.

I'm sure there are a lot of mistakes. Could someone just point them out and offer a simpler way of doing it (possibly without using the Euclidean Algorithm)?

Thanks.
Michael
Hi,
I modified ur function to find GCD of two numbers.
Try this function repl ur feedback

[edit] Don't supply full spoonfed code; it's not allowed in this forum. Thanks;

Thanks,

Srinivas r.
May 24 '07 #7
OK. I think this is a lot better. It compiles and makes sense to me at least. However, it doesn't work properly for more difficult integers like 20, 30. Can anyone spot the problem (as I said nothing wrong with compiling, just doesn't work logically). As I said before, I can't use the Euclidean Algorithm, so I basically had to write the simplest program to find gcd.

1. public static int gcd(int a, int b)
  2. {
  3. int gcd;
  4. if (a > b && a % b == 0)
  5. {
  6. gcd = b;
  7. return gcd;
  8. }
  9. else if (b > a && b % a == 0)
  10. {
  11. gcd = a;
  12. return gcd;
  13. }
  14. else if (a > b && a % b != 0)
  15. {
  16. int count = b;
  17. do
  18. {
  19. count = count - 1;
  20. }
  21. while (b % count != 0 && a % count != 0);
  22. gcd = count;
  23. return gcd;
  24. }
  25. else if (b > a && b % a != 0)
  26. {
  27. int count = a;
  28. do
  29. {
  30. count = count - 1;
  31. }
  32. while (b % count != 0 && a % count != 0);
  33. gcd = count;
  34. return gcd;
  35. }
  36. else
  37. {
  38. gcd = a;
  39. return gcd;
  40. }
  41. }
May 24 '07 #8
blazedaces
284 100+
I'm not 100% sure about the forum guidelines, but I'm pretty sure you should post this as a new thread/topic because it is indeed a ... new... topic. Anyways, may I ask why you're using subtraction and not mod? What do you mean you can't use the euclidean algorithm?

Ok, you're subtracting by one each time... why? Why not subtract by intervals of the smaller number (original euclidean algorithm) or use the mod method?

You realize there's a Math.max(int a, int b) method?

I don't know what is logically wrong in your code, but you don't have a good base of an idea, try rewriting and also tell us what exactly outputs when you have higher integers.

-blazed
May 24 '07 #9
I'm afraid you're wrong there and that's where you missed it. Just an if else will do it.

big hint:
  1.  if(str.equalsIgnoreCase("y")) ....
perhaps simply

return str.equalsIgnoreCase("y") || str.equalsIgnoreCase("n");
May 24 '07 #10
prometheuzz
197 Expert 100+
OK. I think this is a lot better. It compiles and makes sense to me at least. However, it doesn't work properly for more difficult integers like 20, 30. Can anyone spot the problem (as I said nothing wrong with compiling, just doesn't work logically). As I said before, I can't use the Euclidean Algorithm, so I basically had to write the simplest program to find gcd.
Oh man, why so complicated? Here's some pseudo code to do it (non-Euclidean-style, why not Euclidean, btw?):

1. public static int gcd(int a, int b) {
  3.   counter <- the minimum value between 'a' and 'b'
  5.   WHILE counter is more than 0
  6.     IF 'counter' divides 'a' AND 'counter' divides 'b'
  7.       break out of this loop
  8.     END IF
  9.     decrease 'counter'
  10.   END WHILE
  12.   return 'counter'
  13. }
Good luck.
May 24 '07 #11
JosAH
11,448 Expert 8TB
Oh man, why so complicated? Here's some pseudo code to do it (non-Euclidean-style, why not Euclidean, btw?):
Yup, exactly what I suggest in the thread where the sequel of this
thread belongs ;-)

kind regards,

Jos

ps. I just merged the two threads.
May 24 '07 #12

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.